ND105-4 in TL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
Any help with the following will be most welcomed.
I have recently bought 2 pairs of Dayton ND105-4 drivers to build a simple 2 way system...need to keep the wife happy;)
I have not seen many box suggestions for them and would like to try to build some sort of Transmission Line

Any suggestions, i want good bass extension so if they have to be big no problem.
Otherwise if a simple bass reflex is the way to go what are the suggestions?

They will be either matched to a SD1.1 Hivi tweeter or a Tangband W3-871s which has served me faithfully for many years but is of course lacking in the bass department.
Thank you

Tony

I presume you're wanting to build a pair of MTMs? Are you wanting a floorstander or a "bookshelf" cabinet? What are you hoping for as far as F3 is concerned? I did some quick modeling of both a tapered TL and an ML-TL. For instance, in a bookshelf cabinet having internal dimensions of approximately 5"W x 10"D x 22"H, you can have a single-fold line ~45" long of either type of TL, ending up with an F3 in the 40-50 Hz range (it will be lower for an ML-TL). Both would have the line exit at the bottom of the rear panel. The ML-TL could also be built as a tall, not very deep floorstander quite easily. I've attached a graph of the system response for the ML-TL I modeled rather quickly so you can get an idea of how it would perform. I modeled with the two woofers wired in series since I assumed that's how you would handle them in an MTM.
Paul

Hi
Any help with the following will be most welcomed.
I have recently bought 2 pairs of Dayton ND105-4 drivers to build a simple 2 way system...need to keep the wife happy;)
I have not seen many box suggestions for them and would like to try to build some sort of Transmission Line

Any suggestions, i want good bass extension so if they have to be big no problem.
Otherwise if a simple bass reflex is the way to go what are the suggestions?

They will be either matched to a SD1.1 Hivi tweeter or a Tangband W3-871s which has served me faithfully for many years but is of course lacking in the bass department.
Thank you

Tony

Attachments

• ND105MLTL.gif
    ND105MLTL.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 258
..I have recently bought 2 pairs of Dayton ND105-4 drivers..

I have not seen many box suggestions for them and would like to try to build some sort of Transmission Line..

..Any suggestions, i want good bass extension so if they have to be big no problem..

They will be either matched to .. a Tangband W3-871s..

Hi Tony,

If you go for the Tangband solution and just want to add low end, I recommend to build a main sub to be a T-TQWT that can be placed anywhere but preferably near a wall to pick up some passive boundary gain..

b

Attachments

• DaytonND105-4_T-TQWT_OD-TL.JPG
    DaytonND105-4_T-TQWT_OD-TL.JPG
    521.2 KB · Views: 259
thank you both for your replies!
Paul please can you email me a rough diagram for what you are suggesting in terms of enclosures, TL and ML-TL...can be a hand drawing, just want to make sure i understood you correctly.
the ML-TL is the one getting more my attention
Thank you once more
my email is:isavanto@gmail.com

I'll do that tomorrow as I don't have time to do it today.
Paul

Paul please can you email me a rough diagram for what you are suggesting in terms of enclosures, TL and ML-TL...can be a hand drawing, just want to make sure i understood you correctly.
Thank you once more

Tony:
I just emailed the cabinet sketches to you.
Paul

Thank you once more

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.