Celestion DL8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
My son had a pair of Celestion DL8's that he was using as nightstands in his room. They need re-coned and probably replacement tweeters although I haven't plugged them in yet. Just wondering from you guys if their worth fixing. Also, if I do fix them, is their a good resource for parts for them. Thanks in advance.

Tom

I have a pair of DL8 series two in my living room and I wouldn't part with them for the world. If you recone the woofers and check the tweeters (they can handle a lot of abuse) you have a great starting point for a quality classic two way. I'm a big fan of the highs and revealing nature, also if driven by a quality amp there is no real need for a sub. You can play these things real loud if you'd like to but they are also really suited for intimate listening. The series two have a bigger cabinet with an internal cross brace applied. I'm not sure if you have the woofer with the inverted surroud wich comes with series two. If you have to build new cabinets you can upgrade to series two, I'm more than happy to give you the measurements of the cabinets and open mine up en check the values of the crossover. I'm told that these were different between series one and two. Not sure about it though.
ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I have a pair of DL8 series two in my living room and I wouldn't part with them for the world. If you recone the woofers and check the tweeters (they can handle a lot of abuse) you have a great starting point for a quality classic two way. I'm a big fan of the highs and revealing nature, also if driven by a quality amp there is no real need for a sub. You can play these things real loud if you'd like to but they are also really suited for intimate listening. The series two have a bigger cabinet with an internal cross brace applied. I'm not sure if you have the woofer with the inverted surroud wich comes with series two. If you have to build new cabinets you can upgrade to series two, I'm more than happy to give you the measurements of the cabinets and open mine up en check the values of the crossover. I'm told that these were different between series one and two. Not sure about it though.
ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

Thanks Frenzic, these are series one. I found a place that re-cones, think it's called simply speakers, Simply Speakers - Official Speaker Repair Page - Parts and Speaker Repair. I was going to give them a call. The tweeters do work but are a little rough. Can't wait to hear them when their done. If I do decide to rebuild I'll get in touch with you. Thanks for the advice.

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.