An inexpensive Gedlee/Bouska waveguide/tweeter midbass idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
NATHANfrVSnilsonFRcopy.jpg

The mostly yellow line is the Gedlee Nathan

The wiggly greenish line is my speaker's FR measured in my room at my listening position so I have a few room artifacts in there.
Also the big lump in my FR below 80hz is my sub and room interaction.

I think the Gedlee xover has 3 notch filters in it. My guess is that one is around 2.2kz and one about 4.4kz, about where I had mine.

I am also using a 2nd order xover for both B&C drivers. Nathan used a first order for the tweeter. I tried both and subjectively like 2nd order best.

My FR is 1/6 octave and I think he wrote his is 1/12 octave which is amazing.
Also I think he wrote he averaged in a number of measurements from different positions to come up with that great FR. I may be wrong on that.
Anyway when I make my FR 1/3 octave it looks closer to the Nathan.

My box for the 10" is about 0.7cuFT out of a 1cuFT box. I tossed in some wood blocks to reduce the volume.

The HolmImpulse is easy to use just for FR. I don't know anything else about it. Yet. There is a thread or 2 here for using the Holm.
And it's free!

One last note: My tweeter has it's polarity reversed, + to - input. - to + input. Like Zilch does.

Since this is my first project using FR measurements I found it very helpful and won't build without it.

However it was very frustrating that changing to teflon caps and Mills resistors were definitely audible, but did not show up in any measurements I made.

Why???

(If I relied totally on measurements I would say "Aha, that proves they make no difference!" And if I were total subjectivist I'd say "Aha, measurements don't tell everything and mean very little!")

Did some xover tweeking for a better response. Or did I? See FR number 2.
124201159ufadd1RacrossTcopy.jpg

I forget which color is which, but I measured center, where my head usually is.
Then 4 inches to the right of center to kind of match my right ear placement. Then one FR 4 inches to the left of center to kind of match that ear.
(No thick head comments!)

3tracesFR1242001.jpg

Just moving my head a bit changes the FR a lot, but I don't think it matters much.

Anybody else try this?

Project completion Gedlee/Bouska/Zilch speaker

After veering towards Bouska then to Zilch I ended up with a clone of the 10" Gedlee Nathan. As close to a clone that I could get.

I looked at many Nathan and Abbey xovers photos and posts here and elsewhere online. Got a few different schematics, older ones I think. The xover is probably 2-3 different schematics mixed together because I wanted to use parts I had on hand that matched some schematics but not others.

The HolmImpulse charts I've posted we using an xover I came up with before I cobbled together my Nathan clone schematic. It measured good. Sounded good. But...Why not try and clone as much as possible a Nathan xover?

It does not measure as well in my room but it sounds a lot better than mine! Cleaner, clearer from top to bottom.

The box interior is the same size as the Nathan. I extended the top, bottom and sides 4" to cover the PS, amp and xover which sit on the back. I will be covering it with a white cotton cloth to protect from dust.

Currently using one stereo amp, the ClassDaudio SDS-258 amp 250 watts into 8ohms.Class D Audio SDS-258 Amplifier - Class D Audio Amplifiers - PRODUCTS

PS is a 72v Connex electronic SMPS Connexelectronic

Someday another PS and amp will be on the other speaker with one half the stereo amp driving the tweeter, the other the mid.

I use about 1.5" of reticulated foam in the throat of the DDS OSWG. Using more (I tried 2 types) like Gedlee, the sound quality got softer, blurrier sounding. The highs stated rolling off at about 2K and were down about 2dB at 15khz when I measured. When I changed a resistor to compensate for this rolloff it still sound a bit softer and a bit unpleasant (added foam distortion of some kind?). 1.5" in the throat does improve the sound to my ears. I did not measure any difference. So I went with my ears. Maybe I like HOM's?

In the future multiple subs.

Thanks to Bouska, Zilch and Gedlee for the inspiration to create this!

Below the photos show my many imperfections in my first time using a router and building my own speaker boxes. All in my small apartment, painting it with RustOleum gloss white oil paint too. All the imperfections disappear when I listen to the music....

FRONT1.jpg

SIDE1.jpg

MID2.jpg

BACK.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to congratulate myself for accomplishing my goals!

"An inexpensive Gedlee/Bouska waveguide/tweeter midbass idea."

"The purpose is to use high quality drivers in cost effective, stiff, virtually noiseless enclosures that don’t look too butt ugly. Maybe just functional ugly."

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/167960-inexpensive-gedlee-bouska-waveguide-tweeter-midbass-idea.html

Total cost was about $1,200 for both speakers. Including buying a router and bits. (Not included is the lots of time spent constructing the cabinets for a first timer. If I ever build other cabs the time will be reduced about 75%)
Lots of iterations, I wanted to try a lot of things and I did. It was fun!

Surprised I ended up so close to a Nathan.

Best sounding speaker I've ever built.
Close to the best I've ever heard. Ultimately it's not my design...

So I thank Earl Geddes for all he has contributed to my speaker (which turns out to be almost everything but labor) without knowing it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.