replacement tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all - I just obtained a pair of Pioneer HPM-100 speakers in near mint condition. The price was right - free. Mt brother-in-law was made to give them up due top their size! As I said, they are almost in near mint condition - the cabinets shows their age - but this is cosmetic. The only other issue I can find with them is that one of the tweeters sounds a little off - distortion at high volume. I would like to replace both of them with new units and am looking for suggestions - something that would match physically, electrically and acoutiscally. Any suggestions ? Could the issue be related to a bad capacitor or other crossover component ?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Frank,

Check to make sure it's not one of the L-pads by rotating the knob back and forth. If it turns out to be that you need some anti static spray or in a pinch WD-40 (Gasp!) Replacing a tweeter other than the original can be a little tricky.

EDIT: You said it was at high volume so you're probably right so the second thing to do is pull the tweeter and try turning it 180 degrees. Hopefully it's a misaligned coil that straightens itself out. It's a fingers crossed solution but sometimes by the grace of *** it works.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.