replacement tweeters musical fideleity mc4 speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2010, 07:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default replacement tweeters musical fideleity mc4 speakers

hi all,

newbie on this forum, and i hope someone can help me, i have just purchased a pair of musical fideleity mc4 speakers (version 1), and am in need of replacement tweeters, any advice on what tweeters/how to find a dealer?

any advice or tips i would be very gratefull for

boredsurfer
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Ask Neil at Wilmslow Audio.

https://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/catalog/index.php
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublin78 View Post
thanks dublin78, have emailed niel, in the meantime i got a response from toaster in wrong forum (me newby) , but i thought it worth quoting him here -

'Hi boredsurfer, you'd be better putting this on the 'multi-way' forum, but I should think the obvious replacement would be the SEAS 27TBFCG aluminium dome tweeters. No doubt the crossover network would need to be modified to suit. The TDL tweeters are long discontinued of course. I suspect I was the first DIY user in the UK to buy a pair. I ended up using them in a couple of designs, one of which a friend of mine still uses- still sounds good too! Good luck with the repair. '

any comments or further info on this would be great, but i have one question, if i biwire the speakers will i need to modify the crossover network? as i said im a complete newby, lol
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:20 PM   #4
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of Musical fidelity MC2's (mk1). The tweeters are metal dome types, they were made by Elac.
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoc1 View Post
I have a pair of Musical fidelity MC2's (mk1). The tweeters are metal dome types, they were made by Elac.
i am wondering if they hare the same tweeter as mc4's (mk1), i found some info on another forum about mc2 mk1 tweeters which sounds almost identical to mine he said - 'the label on the back of the (tweeter) unit is printed "MADE IN THE UK" and stamped 25DT 34 348 8Ohm'

mine have same label, with 25DT 34 398 9 Ohm, his MC2 mk1 have same tweeter housing as well, would they be a possible replacemnet for my mc4's?
Old 3rd June 2010, 02:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredsurfer View Post
i am wondering if they hare the same tweeter as mc4's (mk1), i found some info on another forum about mc2 mk1 tweeters which sounds almost identical to mine he said - 'the label on the back of the (tweeter) unit is printed "MADE IN THE UK" and stamped 25DT 34 348 8Ohm'

mine have same label, with 25DT 34 398 9 Ohm, his MC2 mk1 have same tweeter housing as well, would they be a possible replacemnet for my mc4's?
correction 8 Ohm, lol
Old 10th June 2010, 09:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Happy ending!

turns out that the mesh protector grill was touching tweeter, when dismantled tweeter and pushed out grill works fine!
Old 10th June 2010, 10:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I see some MC4 with the SEAS H414 ?
SEAS still makes this dome

THE ART OF SOUND PERFECTION BY SEAS - H0414-08 19TAF/G

The 27TBCG is bigger and might need a bigger hole. A nice and useful tweak is to flush mount the new tweeter.

Hope this helps.
Old 20th December 2010, 01:19 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

For future reference in this thread, I have a pair of MC4 mk 1 and the other day I bought some monitor audio R952/MDs and Monitor 9s (late 80s?) and the tweeters on these look just like the MC4's (except for the different company logo) and sound just like them so I suspect they are indeed the same!
Old 7th December 2011, 02:15 AM   #10
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

MADEL

non english posts removed

please post in english

moderation

Hide this!Advertise here!