Tweeter damaged? Or worse, crossover damaged?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At the beginning of May, a power amp's right channel blew and took out the right speaker with it using DC. The woofer was fried but I was shocked to find the tweeter and crossover still 'seemed' to work.
Today I have a new amp, but the right tweeter sounds harsher, more intense and louder than the one in the left speaker.
I have tried two amps with the same result. Why is this? Could the power amp which blew have damaged the crossover? Or is it just a case of sticking a new tweeter in?

This ain't something major cos it ain't noticable when you're dancing to the Cha Cha Slide or the Cupid Shuffle :D
But if you're listening inside at moderate levels it can sound like the balence is more to the right when it isn't. I just wanna know what could have happened.

By the way, its some unbranded cheappo piezo tweeter (don't care if it breaks, only costs a quid), identical for both cabinets and the crossover is an Emience PXB2-5K crossover (costly), once again, both identical in both cabinets.

Last edited:
It is not so likely that a cap would be damaged, but a coil might be. look for a discolored coil.
Well tragedy now when attempting to open the cabinet...
The back of the cabinet is such a tight fit and the paint has fused/sealed the cabinet, it would be impossible to get the cabinet open without either destroying the cabinet or breaking the back off (it's only weak 12mm MDF)
Looks like I'd have to put up with it for now. Thanks for everyones replies.

Well tragedy now when attempting to open the cabinet...
The back of the cabinet is such a tight fit and the paint has fused/sealed the cabinet, it would be impossible to get the cabinet open without either destroying the cabinet or breaking the back off (it's only weak 12mm MDF)
Looks like I'd have to put up with it for now. Thanks for everyones replies.

Many cabinets are sealed - try taking the drivers out of the front, then the crossover may be accessible via the bass speaker's hole.

Many cabinets are sealed - try taking the drivers out of the front, then the crossover may be accessible via the bass speaker's hole.
I have taken out the driver but the tweeter won't come out because the tweeter's driver is bigger than the cutout for the horn and the driver won't unscrew from the horn. The crossover is not obviously burned/discoloured, looks perfectly normal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.