Silicone fumes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2003, 11:10 AM   #1
Flavius is offline Flavius  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default Silicone fumes

Assuming a box with drivers already mounted, in order to finish it have to attach the back cover using silicone as sealant. Naturally some silicone fumes will develop inside the box. Are they dangerous for the drivers? I might put the box to work at once to circulate the air.... Thanks.
Old 21st June 2003, 12:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Flavius

It would be better to let the box sit for a while with no drivers in it, but rinning the box will probably work. Actually thinking about it, the silicone mostly produces acetic acid, and this probably won't cause any harm, but better safe than sorry
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 21st June 2003, 01:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Silicne ll has seems to have a lot less fumes the the origional type silicone.
Dave
Old 21st June 2003, 02:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ahhh and i was complaining im out of vinegar for my salad

Seriously now, I cant reverse the system my box assembles, the drivers must stay.

Actually in my original project i wasnt using any silicone, just glue where its supposed to be closed for good, while the midbox plate and the backplate where sealed with rubber foam gaskets.

But the glue where one midbox was attached to the baffle seems to have cracked, and at very high levels I was getting a buzz I had to put everything apart and in the process of reasembly I discovered silicone its handy stuff to use
Old 21st June 2003, 05:58 PM   #5
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Polyurethane sealant like Sikaflex is better than silicone in almost every way. It is waaaaay more adhesive the only down side is that it is almost impossible to take things apart that have been sealed with it. Also stickier to work with and harder to clean up, but I hear alchohol helps clean it.
Old 21st June 2003, 07:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the silicone mostly produces acetic acid, and this probably won't cause any harm
Well, the consensus (if there is any such thing in a forum) over at diysubwoofers.org is that traditional type (ammonia based) silicones are very bad for drivers, with horror stories to back it up.

I believe some, if not all, latex based silicones are OK.

Whatever your opinion on the issue, DO NOT install the drivers when there is still that heavy ammonia/vinegar smell in the air.
Old 21st June 2003, 07:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Uhh, I guess I'll stick to the rubber foam gasket after all....

Next set of speakers will be designed in a way that the box is finished before I'll have to mount the drivers....
Old 21st June 2003, 08:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by leadbelly
Well, the consensus (if there is any such thing in a forum) over at diysubwoofers.org is that traditional type (ammonia based) silicones are very bad for drivers, with horror stories to back it up.
Hmm, silicones over here in the UK don't seem to have ammonia in them, I just checked the label of some I have lying around and the chemical warning notes don't mention it. I wonder if it's another transatlantic difference we can mark up?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 21st June 2003, 08:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Silicon sealants/adhesive for the automotive world went through a big change about 10 to 15 years ago. Hence the mention of silicon II by Hurdy-G (also from Michigan). It seemed that the old silicon sealant was putting out too many emissions. These fumes, were not very good for us to breath and they were also attacking various polymers used in the vehicles, like foam rubber. Today in the automotive industry only low emissions silicon sealants are used. You still have to be careful because this will not be the case for the general stuff you might get from the Home Depot.
Old 21st June 2003, 09:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I found a good link which at least describes what variety there is in consumer brands of caulk:

http://www.pwgsc.gc.ca/rps/aes/conte...penda11-e.html

But it actually leaves me with even more questions. Firstly, the tubes of caulk I have at home don't list ingredients. Secondly, I'm not sure if the reports of surrounds being destroyed on diysubwoofers.org can be attributed to the vinegar in silicone evaporating or instead to caulks with petroleum solvents.

Hide this!Advertise here!