Question About Vintage Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. On some older woofer/midranges, I've noticed a ring of cork about 1/4" thick encircling the woofer at the edge of the surround. The Spica TC-50 woofer is one example.

Does anyone know what this is there for? I'm guessing that it's used as a gasket for non-flush mount configurations maybe? Basically, I want to know if this can be removed to reduce any potential diffraction effects or would that compromise the driver. Thanks.

Hi all. On some older woofer/midranges, I've noticed a ring of cork about 1/4" thick encircling the woofer at the edge of the surround. The Spica TC-50 woofer is one example.

Does anyone know what this is there for? I'm guessing that it's used as a gasket for non-flush mount configurations maybe? Basically, I want to know if this can be removed to reduce any potential diffraction effects or would that compromise the driver. Thanks.

It's there as a gasket, correct. You could pull off the surround adhesive if you weren't careful, but you're probably okay to remove it. Cork is absorbtive however, so probably no real benefit to be gained.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.