What is the Best 2way speaker - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2010, 01:17 AM   #31
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default WATT Puppies Clone, THOR, or some Efficient Loudspeaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug20 View Post
has the OP even replied back ?
Hehe. Have the other posters even read the original question? I haven't seen an answer yet.

Best 2-way DIY loudspeaker. I will assume a passive crossover.

There are so many designers that are just up to the task (equipment, skill, talent and knowledge of what they are trying to achieve) to build the "best" 2-way loudspeaker. What they need are just the perfect drivers, reasonable time to find out the best working conditions for each drivers, and a lot of time to design the enclosure.

Of course, the best speaker in the world can hardly be 2-way. That makes it "easier" to find out the best 2-way loudspeaker. And even if it is that easy to build one, it doesn't mean that those credible designers will want to build one.

The loudspeaker must be good in all frequency, thus not many drivers are up to this 2-way task, and the best bet is a horn loaded loudspeaker to reach the bottom frequency. It will be very big.

As for the drivers, there are at least two options. Going for high wattage amplifier (200W Class-A or 100W Tube) or going for high efficiency loudspeaker (and use the best 300B amplifier). Both ways we need huge loudspeaker to reach the bottom frequency.

The bigger the better, because you will choose drivers that have ultimate performance in high and middle frequency, and thus have the enclosure to help in the bottom end.

Take Scan-Speaks for candidate drivers. Ring radiator can go low but the quality is not up to the task. Revelator can go quite low with acceptable performance. But I think we need better tweeter (probably a ribbon) and not too big woofer. Seven inches looks promising. But now I think Scan-Speak just not up to the task!

Hmmm….. okay, 300B is great. Can we get a decent 50W 300B amp? Then we will build something like… WATT Puppies? Ah! Just find the clone! That is probably the best 2-way you can get for solid state amplifiers. The drivers look like Scan-Speak to me. It cannot produce the lowest octave but for a two way with such drivers you cannot sacrifice the midrange with big enclosure (tho horn is still possible)!

Or take Seas-Excell for better midrange. And we will have a THOR with bigger modified enclosure! Just find one, or build your own with longer pipe.

As for the efficient drivers, I have no idea… Lowther DX4 is the best I have ever owned (used them with cheap tube amp). They are not up to the task imo. At least you will have a loudspeaker as wide as a door as a compensation for the 300B midrange…
Old 5th June 2010, 05:19 PM   #32
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Hehe. Have the other posters even read the original question? I haven't seen an answer yet.

Best 2-way DIY loudspeaker. I will assume a passive crossover.
Read the original question? Isn't that like reading the instructions, before assembling something?

I'm not only guilty, but a bit embarrassed as well. For an answer to the actual question I'd have to give that one some thought.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 5th June 2010, 08:02 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default one to consider both for price and sensitivity

Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials) - Page 3 - Techtalk at Parts-Express.com
The Tm with the SB Tweeter

Hide this!Advertise here!