What is the Best 2way speaker - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2010, 04:45 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

the best loudspeakers on earth. period.
YG ACOUSTICS - PRODUCTS - CARMEL
Oh, DIY speaker. none, you'll have to get YG's
Old 29th May 2010, 04:50 AM   #12
R.I.P.

The best speaker in the world is always the one I'm building right now.

[Nothing else i possible.... ]

Last edited by ZilchLab; 29th May 2010 at 04:56 AM.
Old 29th May 2010, 05:09 AM   #13
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

I recently EnABL'd a pair of Quad 12L two ways. Thought I would hate them and was really amazed at how good they turned out. Very simple EnABL too, no added Gloss material and very few rings of patterns. Was not at all sure how the woven cone would respond. Superb depth and musical articulation and amazing bass.

Bud
Old 29th May 2010, 05:29 AM   #14
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Best 2-ways?

I've always been impressed with Harbeth speakers for their rendering of vocals and acoustic instruments.

But DIY speakers can be, and often are, excellent.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 29th May 2010, 06:09 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

With speakers as "poor" as they are -- i estimate 10% of the way to where we need to be to be perfect -- it is possible to have 2 completely valid designs that are quite different. In that context the idea of a single best is not very realistic.

dave
Old 29th May 2010, 09:52 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

IMO since 1948 it's the Tannoy DualConcentric.
Old 29th May 2010, 12:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

The best speaker in the world must be a perfect speaker, Therefore it does not exist.
Old 29th May 2010, 12:54 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

You have to bear in mind that there are two speakers in every speaker, one type is revealed when you use a transistor amp to power it, the other when you use a tube amp. My firm favourite is tube.

Literally this difference is like changing the speaker.

The top manufacturer seems to be Tannoy and their concentric drivers, although my Usher X-718 is rarely bettered.

The best DIY speaker does not exist, for the same reason that the best DIY amplifier doesn't exists - all tweaks and customisations change the sound!

I'd however look at getting a paper cone or a random paper+carbon fibre cone (usher) for the bass and midrange, of 8" to 12". Eminence make some good drivers - from the pro-audio side. And before you get carried away with soft done tweeters check out some top quality piezo horns - you'd be surprised how clear the better ones sound.

Choose drivers that suit each other in terms of roll-off and sensitivity as the crossover will be your biggest task - making or breaking your design. Also do not fear the port, a loose bass is much better than no bass at all, something many people confuse with a 'tight' bass
Old 30th May 2010, 06:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Best 2 way speaker

I heard a pair of Altec VOT's at Long Point Cinema in 1969, movie Lord Jim, was very impressed. I didn't see the boxes, my band director did and recommended them in class. I have never seen VOT's for sale, I don't attend fancy enough venue's. Owned LWE III, good bass with optical feedback into the amp via connectors, fair treble. KLH 23's, okay treble, undistinguished bass. Both powered by tube ST70. Moved up to Peavey 5 way T300 Hi freq projector speakers, the dual 10" bass was not featured for cause, the triple piezo tweeter was accurate but had very narrow sweet spot. Saw a Peavey SP5 2 way on craigslist, reminded me of VOT, so I went to store and listened. SP5 was light on bass, SP2 was much better with 15" woofer, piezo driven horn spread good treble all over the room chair height to standing position. Patented (plastic molded) horn design. Bought some, best I have ever owned even with ST120 amp. Room is 14x30x12H, have them on stands on the narrow end. Good treble all over the room, the bass can dominate the boom tubes driving by outside. Mid range very pleasant even though crossover is at 1200 Hz. This format is very popular in bars, equivalent design speakers are sold by JBL (15+2 a Hammond player called his), Mackie, American Audio. Don't know whose design was first to market. Piezo horn tweeter is very good all the way up, one favorite test is top octave Steinway + cymbal on Peter Nero "Warm & Wonderful" album, "When I fall in Love'. I'm running about 2VAC in my room with a DJoffe mod ST120. Previous owner said they were as loud as necessary in an open parking lot with CS800S amp turned up.
Old 30th May 2010, 10:19 PM   #20
kevinh is offline kevinh  United States
diyAudio Member

Well for quality/$$$ in a kit Earl Geddes Abbey's are very hard to bead:

Abbey

For a 2 way I would love to have A pair of the big SoundLab electrostatics with a ESL Sub (They do make them) aree Very Nice.

Sound Lab Majestic - Full range electrostatic loudspeaker

Hide this!Advertise here!