What is the Best 2way speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The best speaker, for any person, is simple.
It is not the one that you spend hours staring at, from the other side of the glass, looking at the price tag, thinking that, being so expensive, it must be fantastic.
It's the trusty old one, sat at home, the first that you use for testing things, the one that doesn't mind if you use it for the occasional party, the speaker that's always ready for the new CD/LP you've just bought.

The best speaker, in the world, is the one you already have.

Chris

Agree the question is so vague that it needs a lot of qualifiers to zero in on a specific answer. But during 50+ years in this hobby, I've owned a lot of speakers, including many 2-ways. So I'm going to give my own subjective answer.

My favorite 2-way by far is the Mission 770. It first came out in the mid-70's and was revised in the late 70's. I bought a pair of the revised version in 1981, and still own them. Of all the speakers I've owned, they are the ones I could never bear parting with. They are currently not in use as mains, but I would love someday to build a new system around them.

They were designed according the BBC principles (2-way reflex, simple crossover, thin-walled box about 1 x 1 x 2). So they have that "classic" British sound, which you may or may not like. But I loved it. Those suckers just let the music come shining through. BTW, after 30 some years, the cones and surrounds are still in great shape.

Maybe not exactly what you were looking for, but FWIW.

I recently EnABL'd a pair of Quad 12L two ways. Thought I would hate them and was really amazed at how good they turned out. Very simple EnABL too, no added Gloss material and very few rings of patterns. Was not at all sure how the woven cone would respond. Superb depth and musical articulation and amazing bass.

Bud

You have to bear in mind that there are two speakers in every speaker, one type is revealed when you use a transistor amp to power it, the other when you use a tube amp. My firm favourite is tube.

Literally this difference is like changing the speaker.

The top manufacturer seems to be Tannoy and their concentric drivers, although my Usher X-718 is rarely bettered.

The best DIY speaker does not exist, for the same reason that the best DIY amplifier doesn't exists - all tweaks and customisations change the sound!

I'd however look at getting a paper cone or a random paper+carbon fibre cone (usher) for the bass and midrange, of 8" to 12". Eminence make some good drivers - from the pro-audio side. And before you get carried away with soft done tweeters check out some top quality piezo horns - you'd be surprised how clear the better ones sound.

Choose drivers that suit each other in terms of roll-off and sensitivity as the crossover will be your biggest task - making or breaking your design. Also do not fear the port, a loose bass is much better than no bass at all, something many people confuse with a 'tight' bass ;)

Best 2 way speaker

I heard a pair of Altec VOT's at Long Point Cinema in 1969, movie Lord Jim, was very impressed. I didn't see the boxes, my band director did and recommended them in class. I have never seen VOT's for sale, I don't attend fancy enough venue's. Owned LWE III, good bass with optical feedback into the amp via connectors, fair treble. KLH 23's, okay treble, undistinguished bass. Both powered by tube ST70. Moved up to Peavey 5 way T300 Hi freq projector speakers, the dual 10" bass was not featured for cause, the triple piezo tweeter was accurate but had very narrow sweet spot. Saw a Peavey SP5 2 way on craigslist, reminded me of VOT, so I went to store and listened. SP5 was light on bass, SP2 was much better with 15" woofer, piezo driven horn spread good treble all over the room chair height to standing position. Patented (plastic molded) horn design. Bought some, best I have ever owned even with ST120 amp. Room is 14x30x12H, have them on stands on the narrow end. Good treble all over the room, the bass can dominate the boom tubes driving by outside. Mid range very pleasant even though crossover is at 1200 Hz. This format is very popular in bars, equivalent design speakers are sold by JBL (15+2 a Hammond player called his), Mackie, American Audio. Don't know whose design was first to market. Piezo horn tweeter is very good all the way up, one favorite test is top octave Steinway + cymbal on Peter Nero "Warm & Wonderful" album, "When I fall in Love'. I'm running about 2VAC in my room with a DJoffe mod ST120. Previous owner said they were as loud as necessary in an open parking lot with CS800S amp turned up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.