Need help with Thor build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I f'd up the location of my speaker cutouts on my fat thor. I made the cutouts 6" lower than where they should be. I've been trying to come up with a solution to try and fix this but I'm all out of ideas . I've used 1" MDF for all my cabinet walls, I'm all out of 1" MDF and no one sells any locally. I'm also trying to avoid using the braces.

Besides not having the speakers positioned at listening level are there any problems, disadvantages or advantages for having the speakers set this low in this design?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I see from your post in the other thread that you sorted your baffle issue. You will have a weaker baffle.

The driver position is important to maintain, as the position helps eliminate the 1st unwanted TL harmonic.

You shouldn't avoid using the braces... they are important. Drivers need to be brace to the back of the box, to gain the improvements in mirange and downward dynamic range.

1" MDF also increases width by 1/2" subtly affecting baffle step.

dave

You shouldn't avoid using the braces... they are important. Drivers need to be brace to the back of the box, to gain the improvements in mirange and downward dynamic range.

1" MDF also increases width by 1/2" subtly affecting baffle step.

dave

Damn it Dave! You had to make things complicated. LOL.

In forgoeing the typical braces used in my build. I am proposing to use 1" dia. wooden dowels that run from the drivers through the transmission line to the back of the enclosure. Please advise if this is acceptable?

Also, my internal volume and dimensions are the same as the original design so does it matter how thick my walls are?

Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.