Recommended budget HiFi Bookshelf /Center DIY kit ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Galgo is offline Galgo  Israel
diyAudio Member

Default Recommended budget HiFi Bookshelf /Center DIY kit ?

Greetings,

I'm looking for a good quality "budget" Hi-Fi bookshelf kit - ~150$ total (shipped to Israel incl. cabinet, XO etc...).
I might even go for additional Center channel kit if I'll find a good source - in that case I can take the overall budget to around 250-300$ total.

They'll be connected to a computer source through a Class-D TA2020 based amp. (Bi-Wiring will be preferable) but I might consider building a stronger power amp. if needed (more to the 100W per channel arena).

They'll be used as front speakers at first for 50/50 Music/Movies on a low-moderate volume inside a small living room and I already have a Sub-woofer in the system.
In the future I might upgrade the front pair and move these to the back as surround speakers.

I'm living in Israel and prices here for decent bookshelf/monitors is pretty high - even as 2nd hand (which I won't mind).

As a reference point (for price and quality) - I can get a pair of brand new Cerwin Vega VE-5M at around 120$ and a slightly used pair of KEF CODA 8/Cambridge S30 or equivalent at around 250-300$

So the DIY kit should give a significantly better price/benefit to justify the extra effort (budget is highest priority but quality should be within the above range).

I'm a newbie speaker builder but won't mind fiddling with the building, I do have experience with electronics and good kit building skills.

The only problem is with the "wood working" mainly since I don't have the working space, time or tools to make the cabinets from raw materials so I need a kit that has at least the parts cut to size.
I can probably take simple cabinet sketches to a local workshop and have these custom cut for me - but I'm afraid it might consume large portion of the already limited budget.

Any recommendations/insights/links or other suggestion for this project and budget?
Is it even feasible within this constrains to "compete" with the tuned and tested commercial models I mentioned above ?

Thank you,
Gal

Last edited by Galgo; 20th May 2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 20th May 2010, 07:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default This would be your best choice

Zaph|Audio - ZMV5 - MCM / Vifa 5" System
Old 20th May 2010, 07:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default even better would be this, but would be more expensive

Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials) - Page 3 - Techtalk at Parts-Express.com
You would have to someone do the wood work for you

Hide this!Advertise here!