Looking for a receiver... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2010, 07:09 AM   #1
CAPGuy is offline CAPGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for a receiver...

Hey all,

I'm new here, so: Hello!

I have a question for all you experts here. I recently built two speakers (each about a cubic foot in volume) with 6-inch woofers and tweeters. So far, I've tested them out using a decent receiver I borrowed from my friend's boombox set (the ones that you see in the store that come with the receiver and speakers), and they work great; the woofers sound amazing and the tweeter quality is crisp.

To my point: I'm actually looking for a dual-channel receiver that routes the bass signal with the two channels, instead of devoting an entire output for a subwoofer bass signal. In other words, I'm looking for a 2.0 instead of a 2.1 receiver. Do any good ones exist anymore? All I'm seeing around the web are 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound receivers.

I've tested the speakers out on my other friend's 5.1 receiver on "stereo mode," when the signal output from all 5 channels are combined into just the front two speakers, but even then the bass signals were routed to the ".1" subwoofer channel, so my woofers were basically inactive.

I know a lot of you have dual-speaker audio systems (without a sub), and I'm just wondering how you power your systems and still get a decent amount of bass through your woofers.

Thanks for your help
Old 8th May 2010, 11:07 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Many years ago, people use to gather and listen to the music, in good quality Hi-Fi's and 2 main channels, some other times alone or with their family or their dog. Some people had extraordinary systems that their big representative could very much be the McIntosh, others had cheap stereos (they would love a good Dynaco) or radios that in their dreams had the best sound they could afford.

Some people would listen to the music in concerts, live, and then (they) would try to reproduce the same artists or composers at home (in Vinyl not MP3), with great quality and as many times they could, without paying a ticket. Also there were places were you would go dance, discos and bars were you would have a drink, that used to have imponent and powerful stereo systems. You can buy all these components from a vintage shop or see them in a (real) web-museum.

Silbatone Acoustics
High Fidelity and HiFi classics
Retro hi-fi For Sale For Sale
classicaudio.com..... classic audio equipment, vintage hifi stereo, marantz pioneer sansui and more!

Some (of this) people meet in secretive meetings like this Lone Star Audio Festival

Last edited by Inductor; 8th May 2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Note on next secret meeting

Hide this!Advertise here!