Changing enclosures, need advice.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of homebuilt speakers. I built these a few years ago based on an article in Speaker Builder issue six/2000.

I used higher quality contruction techniques than the author did owing to the fact that I had access to wood working equipment at the time.

I deviated from the drivers used in the article by using Vifa D27TG45 1" dome tweeters versus the aluminum dome tweeters used. I kept the Vifa P17Wj08 driver the same.

Anyway, due to a recent "accident" one of the enclosures has been damaged. I would like to use a prebuilt enclosure because I don't have access to woodworking equipment anymore.

The enclosure volume for these enclosures is 0.62in3.

The available/acceptable enclosures are 0.50in3 or 0.75in3.

My question is, which, if either, will I be able to use and will I be able to use the same crossover with a different larger/smaller enclosure?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• VIFA P17WJ-00-08 Tymphany - Enclosure.gif
    VIFA P17WJ-00-08 Tymphany - Enclosure.gif
    57.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
The late, lamented PW17J8 is one exceptional driver. They seem to work best (at least in my experience) with very simple crossovers. For years, I've been using them in a natural rolloff design (no woofer crossover at all) with a simple 4 uf mylar cap in series with the tweeter (I've used a number of different Vifa tweeters including yours). I treat the woofer as a sort of full range driver with a little help on the top end, crossing over in the 5K range. The resulting midrange is very listenable and the tweeters are very lightly stressed even at high volumes.

Too bad about not having access to the tools to build your own cabinets. I'm currently listening to a quarter-wave folded transmission-line implementation of this combination. The PW17J8 has never sounded so good in the bass region. I've built a number of copies for my friends. When they hear mine, they want a pair for themselves and I was happy to oblige.

...I'm currently listening to a quarter-wave folded transmission-line implementation of this combination. The PW17J8 has never sounded so good in the bass region.
Interesting. The P17 has a frequency output individual/out-of-the-ordinary profile. I don't know about TLs, yet. What were the main features/specs that you looked at, or it started just as an experience?:)

Note: I'll have to change some drivers (with different new ones) on a TL. Should I look for same freq. output curve, Fs, or other specs, having in mind that I have access to the interior of the speakers, measuring them etc. (I know I will have to read a little... about TLs)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.