High-performance glue for cab building?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use titebond, but not the polyurithane titebond on that page and it's good enough. Any wood glue is good enough, atleast for MDF. MDF always breaks right below the glue line because it doesn't hold together as well as a regular piece of wood. It splits and separates quite easily so a very strong wood glue would be useless, IMO.

I have used many adhesives and deal with the manufactures direct...3M being one...they had many alternatives...as far as speakers go with MDF (real stuff)...weldbond glue has worked great for me and with MDF I resin coat the interior of the box to seal any porosity and silicone caulk the joints for added sealing

DIRT®

The poly glue from that page suppose to set very fast, and the bond is very strong. I figure I can use it to just glue the panels without using screw. I have split MDF panel by putting screw in along the edge. At the same time, I don't want to wait 4-8 hours for the regular wood glue to dry.

Glue

The Titebond product you are looking at is a high performance hot melt glue. The biggest problem you are going to have with the stuff is joint creep while it is setting. Sixty seconds to set up is still a long time to hold a good sized panel motionless. if it slides, and soft glue is a very good lubricant, and then sets up your are pretty much out of luck. If your problem has been srcews splitting MDF edgeg get a good countersink drill and predrill all your screws. The other really useful thing to have is a set of corner clamps. If you glue and screw, two light duty ones are adequate. EKG

I have that glue system at the shop. It doesn't work well for cabinet construction because it's viscosity is too thick. By the time you grab a clamp, the glue will have begun to set and you can't apply enough pressure to get a nice tight joint. Forget about trying to hold it together by hand. For enclosures I use Titebond II wood glue. It only has to be clamped for about 1/2 an hour. If your cuts are not perfect, just caulk the inside seams with a flexible caulk like silicone.

Pete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.