seeking advice on 16 ohm ATC Mid-Dome's and 21W/8554

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an opportunity to obtain some ATC SM150S - 3" Dome midrange units in 16 ohm. I havn't built any speakers for 10 years and am a bit rusty on the theory :scratch:

How practical is it going to be to integrate these with 8 ohm tweeter and bass? I could use a parallel resistor, and go active later. I have a pair of Scan-speak 21W/8554 Kevlar 8" woofers and was thinking of a Scan-speak tweeter or possibly a ribbon device to use with the ATC's.

I was originally going to use the 21W/8554's to build a pair of sub units to go under the speakers on my avatar (left), but with the chance of the ATC mids I might relegate these to rear speakers. Incidentally these are Morel MDT30's & MW143. They have a smooth accurate sound that I really love, very articulate mid's and high's,b but really lacking in the low end.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.. :confused:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
You lucky... erm.. person;)

Depending on which ATC you have they are about 92 to 94dB efficient, so even driving them with an 8ohm amp you will likely need to attenuate them to match the woofers.

I don't know the woofers at all, but to be honest, with the superb range of the ATCs you will probably be running them below about 350Hz anyway.

The tweeter will need to cross over at about 4k, so you don't need anything that goes that low, so your options are open, but AFAIK ATC are using Scan-speak tweeters in their current range of small monitors.

You could have the makings of a great pair of speakers here, good luck and keep us posted!

Wilmslow audio use the ATC dome with an SEAS millenium tweeter in one of their kits, and the Scan-speak 25W8565 paper driver.
Someone on this site built that kit recently - do a search.

As Pinkmouse said, sensitivity shouldn't be a problem as the S version is very sensitive anyway. Usual XO for this driver is 380Hz, and from memory impedence compensation is used for the resonance peak and rising inductance.

I have no experience with this driver, but have been interested in using it. Reports are usually very good.

Mick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.