Constant Beam Width Transducers line arrays - Page 28 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2012, 10:03 PM   #271
bwaslo is online now bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

I heard the CBTs at MWAF and was very impressed. However, I'm one of the many that doesn't have a spare 5ft just to be empty space behind speakers. I need to use speakers close to the wall in any room I'm likely to use in the foreseeable future. So Danley's solution definitely works better for me.
Old 18th September 2012, 10:07 PM   #272
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yep, makes sense. They did have plenty of room to breath at MWAF.
Old 19th September 2012, 03:09 AM   #273
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
However, I'm one of the many that doesn't have a spare 5ft just to be empty space behind speakers.
hi Bill
any document/theory to support this?
Old 20th September 2012, 05:09 AM   #274
diyAudio Member

Default Keele CBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by panjilaras View Post
hi Bill
any document/theory to support this?
Direct Access to Keele's CBT AES Papers
Audio Artistry

Regards,

WHG
Old 31st October 2012, 01:55 AM   #275
diyAudio Member

thanks WHG.
found a pic from DSL fb, two horn gurus met:
Click the image to open in full size.
I wish there is a video footage of this event. Pano was there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
The Synergy is an interesting speaker. I'd heard it once before (briefly) and remained skeptical. Not this time. It really is a point source contained by a pyramid. Tom invited me to stick my head into the horn. I did. The sound seems to originate from a sphere about the size of your fist that is 6-8" forward of the horn apex. No hint of multiple drivers in space. And he does that with a passive crossover.

One of the funniest parts of the day was the PowerPoint slide that Don Keele had made proposing a 22 foot tall CBT made of Danley horns. That's a scary thought! Keele really liked the Synergy, and Danley was proud to be making a presentation in front of the master, Don Keele. Tom told me that when he was starting out Keele was one of the few speaker designers who would give him the time of day, and was a big help in some Danley designs. I forgot to take a camera, but there is a shot (I'll get it) of the two of them standing together beside their creations.

These are both controlled directivity designs, but thru vastly different techniques. Interestingly the tonal balance was similar (and good) on both, but imaging was very different. The Synergy can peg a phantom center image like few speakers I've ever heard. The CBT was more diffuse.
Quote:
It was the SH-50. Typical medium size hotel meeting room. Horns were at one end, spread wide nearer the side walls than the center. One about 3 feet off the ground, the other about 4 feet. Pointed in maybe 30-40 degrees. In the photo posted below you see the table just to the right of the screen down front. One horn was at its far right corner, the other in the same position on the left side of the room. The CBTs were set up just inside (toward center) of that.
Room is 25 feet wide, 38 feet long (about 7.6x11.5 m) . I was about 25 feet back, centered. See below. If I can get photos of the setup, I'll post.

The SH-50s were used as P.A. All of the conference speakers used a wireless mic, some hand-held, some lavaliere, one headset. That was funny for me because it's what I do for a living, meetings. So every day I heard some guy or gal on a wireless talking and showing slides. It was a perfect reference for me. The SH-50 were astonishingly clean and clear, put the voice right in the center about 6 feet high and never had feedback. Don Keele stood right in front of one horn for most of his talk, his back almost touching it. It never squealed, not even close.

Both the CBT and the Synergy did exactly what the designers said they would do, as far as I could tell. Remember, Keele and Danley are engineers, not marketers, so their claims were technical and accurate. No spin, no BS, no fancy wires.
Quote:
No, no real critical listening or A/B tests on the same tracks, which is why I hesitate to give these a "review." But I did hear them in the same space not more than an hour apart, so it was informative - for me at least. Both work well, both sound much bigger than they look. The CBT is more "matte" sounding, for lack of a better term. A little cleaner, but less energy, in the bass than the Synergy horn.

The SH-50 will play insanely loud with no hint of strain. Mostly it was played too loud for the music type, I.E. louder than similar acoustic music would have been in the room. But it had no trouble doing so. Dynamic like crazy. The CBT is much less efficient and could not play as loud (as Keele pointed out) but could do very well, I think, in a normal sized living room/lounge.

Neither had the charm or warmth of my Altec rig, nor the musicality or smoothness. But they were not optimized to the room and were using typical pro electronics, not noted for warm or smoothness. Would love to hear the SH-50 on and SET amp. I'll keep bugging Tom about it.
Old 12th August 2013, 04:18 AM   #276
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
I'm one of the many that doesn't have a spare 5ft just to be empty space behind speakers. I need to use speakers close to the wall in any room I'm likely to use in the foreseeable future.
I recently saw a line array that was intended to be set into a corner, and used the corners as reflecting / broadening agents, much as Dr. Keele's array uses the floor to "mirror" the array.
Just wondering if anyone who owns a CBT array has experience with them in the corners. What was their experience "without the air"?

Ron

Hide this!Advertise here!