Ultimate Full Range flat 20hz to 27khz +/- 1.5db

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would the following in an o/b design(except the RAAL of course) make for a very good very flat full range design with good dispersion and off axis response in your opinion or just a waste of time and money?

Tweeter: RAAL 140-15

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF/raal_140-15d.pdf

Midrange: Accuton C90-T6

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF/accuton/C90-T6_specs.pdf

and bottom half of GR Research Super V dipole servo sub section(frequency range = 20hz - 300khz)

New Super-V model (that is going to the show) with pics!

Model it up.....thoughts any one.

Thanks,
Shane

Probably the wrong forum.... never the less, sounds interesting. The only fly in the ointment I can see might be that the Raal does not radiate rearward. So, you probably need two pair to get a full open baffle sound/effect. Are you going to buy the drivers and measure them on your proposed baffle? Might be financially risky, although the Raal and Accuton have resale value. And what kind of crossover, passive or active or both?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Nice drivers

But completely different from the Super-V you link to
Your mid driver is smaller, and a low Q design, and probably leads to much earlier rolloff
Which demands for a higher xo point than the Super-V
Which again could lead to trouble getting smooth midrange from the H-frame woofers

Im not saying it will happen, only that it might

There's no such thing as +/- 1.5 db for loudspeakers. Nor is there for 3db either. Measure any system, sold at any price and try to get a plot within +/- 6db without artificial smoothing techniques. Good luck!

I believe Geddes new designs are +/- 1.5 dB without any extra EQing. Just some serious passive XO designs.

Harman International has some serious flat on axis designs so I disagree with your statement.

heck, most hardcore DIY builds are easily -/+3dB (take a look at the best designs over on HTguide.com). Now granted I have zero care what goes on above 18KHz so I couldnt give a crap what the curve looks like that high.

If you don't have previous experience with the Accuton, I'd suggest approaching with caution. On the Great Speaker Project, henchman and I wrestled for over a year with an earlier version of the Accuton. They have been steadily modifying the driver, but the earlier problems were acute enough that caution would still seem warranted. The problems that we encountered were: We had real difficulty in suppressing the HF breakup; dynamic compression was evident; and a cone broke for no known reason. Crossover freq was higher than desired as well, although that was not really a problem.

We wound up going to the smallest Audio Technology (Skaaning) driver for the mid, with excellent results.

P.S. I would suggest a sealed box for the Accuton; even though the low end is attenuated, you really don't want the driver unloaded at low frequencies.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.