Altec 605 OB help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello
i am new here and i need some help ideas
i have altec 605 on ob 100 x90 cm(some kind like "yamamoto" l.s.)
on the top i am using super tweeter pioneer pt- 410

the sound is very good with my 2 mono block quad classic 15w x2

but but the low freq-bass is not so deep etc etc

any ideas recomm/

thanks a lot

ezra

Hi,

The ALTEC 605 cannot be use passively as a woofer in ob. Qts=0.25 is too low

1. Add one or two active subwoofers ? if the Altec is used as midrange

2. You cannot get bass with 15W in an ob with a passive crossover, solid state amplifier is recommended 50-200W. An active correction for the bass could work better.

3. Take as inspiration MJK work :
OB Theory
Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Projects

Have fun.

I have the old Altec literature on their speakers and the 605B is rated for 35 watts (50 peak),, says freq response is 20 - 22K when operated in an optimum enclosure,, any higher power amp would be a waste of $$$ as those 605s were some of the most efficient speakers around,,

I use the A500 Voice of Theaters in my HT and even though rated at 35 - 22K I never felt the bass was very strong,, none of the older speaker systems ever offered the real THUMPING or rumbling sound a good sub with a LFE feed does,,

a SVS 13 ultra solved that issue for me,,

Derry

Hello Ezra,

You can increase the bass response from your open baffle 605 by increasing the amplifiers source impedance. This is described in the Arpeggio article by Morgan Jones. Another place to look for ideas is in the Firstwatt amplifiers by Nelson Pass. Some of Firstwatt amplifiers are current source amplifiers which by definition have high output impedance.

I don't know how loud you like to play your music or your room size so I won't guess what will be the best for you.

Good Luck and Have Fun,
Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.