What Enclosure for 4x kef B139-1024 and 4xb110?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If i remember correctly the B139 has a Qts of 0.375 & a Vas of about 3cuft. As it's bass resonance is approximately 29.5Hz why not stuff each one in a 3cuft (3 cubic foot) box tuned by a reflex port to 30Hz :D

F3 will be at the box tuning frequency, is 30Hz -3Db good enough? If not then tune it lower & expect a more gradual rolloff from a higher frequency.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scott & i did a modern TL for the B139. So far i have drawn up 3 variations. Transmission Line Speakers

A friend has built these ones (he shortened them a couple inches to fit in his room):

PP-B139-TL.gif

He likes them alot.

dave

Hi galop,
try a google search for "Linn Isobarik DMS" They use the B139 in an isobarik loaded cabinet of about 55 litre's or thereabouts. They are famous for delivering really good very low bass in quantity. I have a pair and I can agree with that.
Worth a look for ideas.

If i remember correctly the B139 has a Qts of 0.375 & a Vas of about 3cuft. As it's bass resonance is approximately 29.5Hz why not stuff each one in a 3cuft (3 cubic foot) box tuned by a reflex port to 30Hz :D

F3 will be at the box tuning frequency, is 30Hz -3Db good enough? If not then tune it lower & expect a more gradual rolloff from a higher frequency.

Maybe this design would be ok.I was thinking about coffin sub ,but i need to build 2 ,because i have 4 drivers.but i dont know what will happen if i put 2 coffin subs on the left and right side of the room.(phase interference etc??)
1 cubic feet is 28 ,31 litres?

Last edited:
1 cubic feet is 28 ,31 litres?
Yes ;) So effectively you'd need about 85L + port volume & any bracing as well as a bit to add for each driver :)

If you were driving them via a seperate amp (for the subs) there is no reason why you couldn't alter the phase to any sub to bring the whole lot into time alignment, well with a bit of fiddling about anyway :D

Last edited:
This might be heresy to some, but I was wondering if anyone can share DIY experience of the various race-track format woofers and subwoofers made by Tang Band?
Heresy? Lol :) How could it be when that driver will out perform the Kef driver.

From the specs it will require a slightly smaller enclosure but will still reproduce to about 30Hz f3. It'll handle a rather lot more power & it might just be 1Db W/M less sensitive. The Xmax is definately more, though i'm not sure if that which was quoted is peak or pk - pk. If it's peak then it'll vastly out perform the Kef driver :D

Hello i have 4 kef b139 and 4 kef b110 speakers.I want to make separate enclosures for this drivers.I like big enclosures and very low bass.What do you suggest?

Hi Galop

If you like big enclosures, you are going to luv these.

The speakers are transmission lines that I built many years ago, and they use the KEF B139 / 110 / T27 and Celestion super tweeter.

Here are the dimensional layouts and the crossover details if you are interested.

With external dimension of 1400mm tall, 500mm wide and 640mm deep, this is one big bugger.

If you want any further details, please let me know. I have the full construction plans and original articles.

Regards

George.

Attachments

• sectional view[1].pdf
    87.2 KB · Views: 168
  • perspective view[1].pdf
    94.1 KB · Views: 107
  • crossover[1].pdf
    93.2 KB · Views: 99
Hi Galop

If you like big enclosures, you are going to luv these.

The speakers are transmission lines that I built many years ago, and they use the KEF B139 / 110 / T27 and Celestion super tweeter.

Here are the dimensional layouts and the crossover details if you are interested.

With external dimension of 1400mm tall, 500mm wide and 640mm deep, this is one big bugger.

If you want any further details, please let me know. I have the full construction plans and original articles.

Regards

George.
hello, I wonder if you ever got my previous message, I am interested in what you have to share for a diy project out of b139b's and b110's along with t27...thank you in advance for your time
regards
angelo e

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.