DIY vibrators?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, not THAT kind of vibrator. Get your mind out of the gutter... :rolleyes:

I'm wondering how easy it would be to attach a solenoid to either end of a metal weight and wire the solenoids to a power amp (or something similar... ;) ), then bolt the whole assembly to a table or chair... the idea of course being that on those big bass notes (exploions :devily: ) the solenoids act as two voice coils to push/pull the weight and cause the object to which they're bolted to shake (and act as a huge-*** woofer :eek: ). The problem I can forsee at the moment is that I'm not sure HOW to wire the solenoids- unlike magnet/voice coils, they ONLY pull, they don't push. So one would need an interesting circuit - that sends the rise of each wave to one output, and the fall of each wave to the other output... :confused:

DIY audio yes, but in general, unless you build an ESL, you usuall buy a driver. $30 a piece may be expensive, but if you are just riggin one couch, you should only need two. (dont want to fall off the thing). I am a little nieve about these "solenoids", what are these???

As far as the $60 is concerned. I always try to look at expense with two major factors. The cost of the pieces, vs. the time it will take with the pieces. If the solenoids will take time to construct, and may not perform as well as the ones I may use, factor in the cost of your time. In my case, I sometimes go for a better driver (at more expense) instead of building a more complicated or just larger box to make up for the lack of quality. Then I work the time i saved and bill for it, and end up breaking even.

Im not lecturing, and i dont have alot of money either, I guess I felt like justifying my choice. Sure you could do projects more deserving of the title DIY, but I guess I am results oriented.

Please fill me in on these "solenoids" though, then I may come back and post that I'm an idiot and your way prob wouldnt take that long or cost that much money. May do my couch your way.
Brian

Actually, they're $30 a pair. Pretty damn good price acutally...

A solenoid, technically, is an air-core coil that's longer than it is thick. In this context (and in most that you'll see) there's a metal rod in the middle of this coil that moves, so that when you apply electricity, the metal rod retracts into the coil. (there are also types that will push when you apply electricity...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.