Who has experience with MCM drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've used MCM's poly-coated paper 10 and 12 inch woofers many times in the past and found them to be just about the best bang for the buck driver I've ever used. They especially performed well in a car, because they don't respond quite to the lowest octaves in some rooms.

I am trying to make an inexpensive home theater speaker using a TB 3" with an 8" woofer that hopefully has a smooth top end roll off. Has anyone had success with other MCM woofers like an 8" or a 6.5" as a midrange or midbass?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I will never buy MCM branded drivers again.
Was going to build a quickie MTM for a friend.
I had already purchased the drivers in advance of his visit. I did not have a chance to open the boxes until he arrived at my house (3 hour drive)
When we did, we noticed that the rubber surrounds were not glued to the frames.
Big dissappointment.
Santa

I have used the 55-1190 8" woofer on a couple different systems. I used them to repair some old speakers for my dad... sounded about as good as the old speakers did. I used 8 of them in a sealed enclosure for my home theater subwoofer. It will definitely move some air!
The 55-1190 will get down to around 45Hz or so in a sealed enclosure. You have to check for alignment problems when you get them- the voice coils sometimes rub. They're not the best as far as quality goes, but what do you want for $12.95?
I consider them to be a good bargain too. I would probably use more of their stuff if I had some sample response measurements like parts express provides. Since I don't have measurement equipment, I only use their woofers generally.
Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.