12" Tannoy Monitor Golds in Onken cabinets.

Hi

Just started a project using this design with kind help from Alistair (algoart).

Not far of finished, just need the right size bolts to fix the speakers to the cut out. Easter Sunday and everywhere is closed. Just have to wait another day to try them out.

I think if you click the images they will increase in size.

274.jpg

275.jpg

276.jpg

Hi Alistair

The ply was Far Eastern from a local wood merchant. It seems to be quite common to all the wood merchants. Got the ply on Monday last week, all pre cut, so saving a bit of time. The internals took the longest as i cut the bracing and foam myself.
Yes i cant wait to try them. Will let you know how i get on.

IMG_2134.jpg

Just got them hooked up and they are quite imposing. They look smaller in the photo.
My room is only 12ft x 13ft so i need to think of the finish to give them a disappearing act.

The sound is certainly better with a lovely extended bass with no noticeable boom. Voices and piano sound especially good. I was using cabinets with Jordan speakers which have one of the best midrange you can get but the Tannoy's go even better. They seem to give more air around instruments like hearing reverberation. I don't normally listen in the afternoon, only at night so i may have a better idea of how they sound later.

So thanks again Alistair they do sound good even in my small room.

Jim.

Last edited:
That Onken cab looks a lot like what Tannoy called 'distributed port reflex' as used in the Edinburgh, also with a 12" driver, and the Stirling (10").
The Stirling used a 'variable distributed port' ie the ports could be adjusted by sliding a panel over them, leaving the ports fully open, partially or fully covered.

Just finished the cabinets today. It has been open wallet surgery for all the wood, veneer and sundries but it has been worth it. The veneer is Ash with a paper backing which is very easy to handle and is easily cut with scissors. It is called Flexy veneer and it can be bought in 8ft x 4ft sheets. Perhaps the oval speaker cover is a bit too big and i may go for a circular cover, will see.

Jim.

IMG_2139 new.jpg

Hi Lee

Its ok with Alistair so if you want the design then pm me and Alistair and i will get them Golds in cabs for you.

Have you just bought the speakers or have you had them some time?

Hi there, sorry for not replying sooner, I've been really busy with work and haven't had time to catch up with the forum for a while. Alistair very kindly emailed me the plans for the 12"s and 10"s as I have a pair of each, but I'm pretty sure it'll be the 12" drivers that get the Onken style cabs.

I bought the 12" HPD's a few months ago, they're in Devon enclosures at the moment, but they really need some tlc as the tweeter horn has some corrosion and the one of the cabs has water damage and is held together with copious amounts of wood-glue and corner brackets. I got them for a song though so I'm definitely not complaining.

Cheers, Lee.