good 10" woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I live in Courtenay, not too far away, thanks for the welcome I've been reading lots on here, great forum. I want to replace the woofer because they are low wattage 50 and 45, one of them was replace with diff wattage than the other and b) I put my finger throught the outside edge of one (pretty weak) and c) they didn't sound very good. I was planning on buying some PSB image speakers, but thought I'd try some diy might be a cheap solution. if they aren't good enough for my ht then I can use them a B speakers in another room

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jimsdaho said:
I live in Courtenay, not too far away

Another island boy :) I don't get up to Courtney very often, but a friend's wife has family there and is up often (ie a place for hitch-hiking bits)

I want to replace the woofer because they are low wattage 50 and 45, one of them was replace with diff wattage than the other and b) I put my finger throught the outside edge of one (pretty weak) and c) they didn't sound very good. I was planning on buying some PSB image speakers, but thought I'd try some diy might be a cheap solution. if they aren't good enough for my ht then I can use them a B speakers in another room

So the boxes have mismatched bass drivers, and one has a failing surround. How big is the box? You don't want to spend too much on them, so maybe some recycled drivers are caled for.

dave

The box is aproximately 10x12x22
These were suggested py parts express

Part Number:
290-088
PIONEER W25GR31-51F 10" BUTYL SURR WOOFER Power handling: 90 watts RMS/130 watts max * Voice coil diameter: 2" * Impedance: 8 ohms * Frequency response: 26-6,000 Hz * Magnet weight: 30 oz.. * SPL: 90 dB 1W/1m * Vas: 4.77 cu. ft. * Xmax: 3.0mm * Qms: 4.17 * Qes: .36 * Qts: .34 * Fs: 26 Hz. $44.95 EA

Part Number:
296-105
AUDAX PR240Z0 10" AEROGEL WOOFER Power handling: 100 watts RMS * Voice coil diameter: 2" * Le: 1.11 mH * Impedance: 8 ohms * DC resistance: 6.5 ohms * Frequency response: 35-2,000 Hz * Fs: 35 Hz * SPL: 90.0 dB 2.83V/1m * Vas: 2.90 cu. ft. * Qms: 11.37 * Qes: .39 * Qts: .38 * Xmax: 4.0 mm
price $90 ish I think

I want to probably put in new tweeters as well.
I will need a new Xover as well???

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by jimsdaho
The box is aproximately 10x12x22[/QUOTE]

So about 1.5 ft^3

PIONEER W25GR31-51F ....
AUDAX PR240Z0 10" AEROGEL

I thot you said cheap 10s :)

Even with the crazy crash of the USD the 1st are going to end up being close to $80-90 CAD landed and the Audax i would consider a higher end driver -- certainly would be considering a new box, tweeter, & XO for those (hey that's a start from scratch project). It is also a question whether the 1st one would be happy in your box... where is KelticWizard when you need him... he can look at the specs and give a good idea of required box size off the top of his head. Also whether one of these new woofers are designed to extend as far up as the older paper cone extended range woofers were designed for.

If you are interested in something recycled -- and much cheaper -- send me an email.

Any chance of pics of the existing box & drivers?

dave

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
The Audax needs about 50l, (no idea what that is in cubic F, sorry) with a ported box, and about 75l minimum for a half decent sealed box, and that will take you into the 30s.

As Dave said, the Audax is a very good driver, and worthy of it's own project, ( I know, I use them currently in my main system;)), but you could always get them, and "run them in" in your old boxes until you were ready to upgrade. But be aware, they don't really go much above 1KHz usefully.

My bro has a digi cam I will get pic as soon as I can.
"Not too much money" at most $200-$300 Cdn
for both speakers, but I want to get the tweets and Xovers etc for that price. If you think decent recycled ones would sound good then for sure Im interested.

The woofers I listed were recommended for a sealed box of the dimensions of mine, 8ohm

On a slightly diff topic, I also got an old sony amp with them, wondered if it might be of some use? I'll put the model # later and details later gotta go for dinner :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.