AMT ESS-1 vs. Stage Accompany SA8535 (SA 8535)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• ESS AMT-1.JPG
    ESS AMT-1.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,553
  • ESS AMT-1 + fostex.jpg
    ESS AMT-1 + fostex.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,490
  • ESS diaphragm relacement kit.jpg
    ESS diaphragm relacement kit.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,519
  • SA8535 3 diag 800x600.jpg
    SA8535 3 diag 800x600.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,637
  • SA8535 inside monitor.jpg
    SA8535 inside monitor.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,494
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
The chance of anyone having heard both these drivers in an A-B comparison is rather slim.... SA8535 is a very rarely used driver indeed.

I did the original design of the Griffin speakers you are referring to above, but its been over 10 years since I actually heard the SA ribbon. At that time there was no real alternative to it, but today I think I might have chosen the Beyma TPL-150H instead.

I did own a pair of Philips RSQ8P, which is identical to the smaller SA8520. I have compared that to the Beyma TPL-150 AMT, and I clearly preferred the Beyma.

The chance of anyone having heard both these drivers in an A-B comparison is rather slim.... SA8535 is a very rarely used driver indeed.

I did the original design of the Griffin speakers you are referring to above, but its been over 10 years since I actually heard the SA ribbon. At that time there was no real alternative to it, but today I think I might have chosen the Beyma TPL-150H instead.

I did own a pair of Philips RSQ8P, which is identical to the smaller SA8520. I have compared that to the Beyma TPL-150 AMT, and I clearly preferred the Beyma.

thank you for this information.
Arround Stage Accompany there are now several websites:
Rooster Ribbon - Home
SA-Vintage
stage acoustic
SA Vintage Forum - Index
http://sa-vintage.com/Downloads/sa-rcd-specs.pdf
Èíñòàëëÿöèè ñ èñïîëüçîâàíèåì îáîðóäîâàíèÿ Stage Accompany (Listing Stage Accompany user's arround the world)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/139250-philips-rsq8p-ribbon-tweeter-sale.html (predecessor SA Ribbon)
Buisvriendelijk ontwerp met Philips RSQ8P en Davis 20TK8
Magnetostatic (Magnetostatics Overview)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
SA 8535

I have been using my pair for about 10 years now. While they are indeed superb sounding (when done right) they are crossover finicky for sure (As the caT points out). For 9 1/2 years I crossed them at 5K (active 48 db/slope) but still used an inline capacitor. Part of the problem with a driver like this, and crossed as high as I did, was never being able to find a mid that did justice in the upper range of it's operation to match the level of refiness of the SA. After many years of trial and error, i found that a horn loaed JBL
D123, even as large as it is, did mate well. I also had excellent results using a Tang Band 1808 open baffle. My most recent and current configuration uses an EV HR9040 loaded with DH1506 drivers, and the crossover has been lowered to 2500 Hz. I use a 2.2uF REL-CAP polystyrene in series with the SA.
The 8535's are driven with a 12 watt/ per channel triode.This combination results in a superb sound quality.

In the meantime I have heard also the TPL150H from Beyma - ckeck out this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...-high-frequency-loudspeakers-where-buy-2.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.