Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2010, 01:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default same tweeter model...different sound..

I have finished a pair of HATT MKIII speakers a couple of months ago, i like them very much, but i have detected a difference in the sound of the tweeters, the difference is that one tweeter extends less than the other, it has less resolution...subtle, but under certains tones the difference is obbious

what can i do?....both tweeters are new, i think they are from different manufacturer batch as they have different stickers (the only visual differnce), they both measure ok (resistance).

i opened the faulty one and cleaned the coil slightly with a brush and also straighten the foam, but it made no difference. I also changed enclosures to confirm that source/amp/filter is ok, and the faulty tweeter can always be spoted on either enclosure.

should i just buy two from the same batch? ...what if the ones i receive sound like the one i dont like

model is: SEAS 27TBFG-H1214
Old 29th March 2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanoplastik View Post
I have finished a pair of HATT MKIII speakers a couple of months ago, i like them very much, but i have detected a difference in the sound of the tweeters, the difference is that one tweeter extends less than the other, it has less resolution...subtle, but under certains tones the difference is obbious

what can i do?....both tweeters are new, i think they are from different manufacturer batch as they have different stickers (the only visual differnce), they both measure ok (resistance).

i opened the faulty one and cleaned the coil slightly with a brush and also straighten the foam, but it made no difference. I also changed enclosures to confirm that source/amp/filter is ok, and the faulty tweeter can always be spoted on either enclosure.

should i just buy two from the same batch? ...what if the ones i receive sound like the one i dont like

model is: SEAS 27TBFG-H1214
First, I would swap the two speakers (left and right) just to make sure that the amp or the room placement isn't the issue.

Then, I would swap the two tweeters in each cabinet and see if the problem follows the tweeters.

If the problem is still the same cabinet, then, I would suspect the crossovers are different. In this case there may be a bad or out of tolerance capacitor of coil. Could even be a bad solder joint.

If the problem really is the tweeters I would try to get a matched pair or a pair with serial numbers that are close to each other. Seas is a good manufacture, but there can be some bad things that slip through from time to time. However, first make sure that it really is the tweeters.
Old 29th March 2010, 01:49 PM   #3
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Buy a third SEAS 27TBFG and see if it matches one or the other

Hide this!Advertise here!