best high sensitivity woofers?

Look out for semi pro drivers, prices ranges from US$130-250, brands such as Beyma, B&C, PHL are very good obviously some are more suitable depending on your design. I am using PHL drivers now. Sensitivity ranges from 93-98dB.

If you are conscious of the price then the Eminence Alpha 8 is good value at about $80 each.

Cheers.

Check out "www.prodance.cz", click on "English" on the left then click "MLSSA Data" at the top. You will see that there is a range of sizes and makes. This provides a good guide of the measured results.

As well as the Alpha 8, you could add the Beta 8 and Alpha 10, the latter is favoured by Wayne Parham of "Pi Speakers". It all depends on how you want to use them.

Roy

a bass reflex (vented box) with 95dB/W @ 1m from an 8 or 10inch driver is likely to have a high bass roll off frequency. You may have to go to a very big box or to 12 or 15inch to get bass extension and good sensitivity.

I have to believe the OP understands that if he wants sensitivity he has to sacrific low frequency performance.

He should post what he will be using this for, there are different designs out there that have different goals.

The woofer needs to be around 8-10" - and a sensitivity of around 95 or so.. any ideas?
the selection of this size is very small.
My proposals:
1) Audiom 12AX
Strassacker: Lautsprecher - Boxen - Selbstbau
(see also attachements from one of my projects)
2) TAD TL-1102
TL-1102 Low-Frequency Loudspeaker - Pioneer TAD - Prof. Speakers
3) various models of formerly brand Lambda - check out this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...me-user-tell-best-bass-i-have-ever-heard.html
4) Monacor SPH200 (especially recommend for small chambers as closed box)
MONACOR INTERNATIONAL:New products
All transducers have one important feature: low loss suspension (High QMS values)

Attachments

• Focal Audiom 12AX Subwoofer 008.jpg
    Focal Audiom 12AX Subwoofer 008.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 1,013
  • Focal Audiom 12AX Subwoofer 012.jpg
    Focal Audiom 12AX Subwoofer 012.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 995
The woofer needs to be around 8-10" - and a sensitivity of around 95 or so.. any ideas?
Sure your 10"/95dB woofer is a (UK) "Volt" BM2500.5 Pro PA range (after reading so much "mambo jambo") :p:eek::D:redhot:
Volt Loudspeakers - BM2500.5
https://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/catalog/index.php
Volt Loudspeakers - About Us

Thanks! will look at those.

I want to marry a bass reflex with a mid horn- crossover point will be quite high, around 350 hz or so. the mid driver has a low sensitivity, around 85 or so- no idea what boost the horn will give but guestimate would output around 93-95.
The Studio range Volt BM2500.4 is only 92dB, Fs=32Hz...
http://www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk/Loudspeakers/Studio_Range/BM2500_4/body_bm2500_4.html

Last edited:
..or there is the venerable Kappa Pro:

Eminence - The Art and Science of Sound

or the lower fs lower eff. bp102:

Eminence - The Art and Science of Sound

..though in the lower eff. grouping I'd opt of John's TD10M.
Before posting more woofer wars, I think it would be more helpful for poster if he would do a horn simulation, or somebody would help him with that. Also making sure he is not going to use a sub later (like EXODUS Shiva-X2 12", or something else), to make provision for the best woofer with lower extension the PA stuff can not provide, but the Studio type woofers can. Hornresp

Last edited:
Sure your 10"/95dB woofer is a (UK) "Volt" BM2500.5 Pro PA range (after reading so much "mambo jambo") :p:eek::D:redhot:
Volt Loudspeakers - BM2500.5
https://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/catalog/index.php
Volt Loudspeakers - About Us

The Studio range Volt BM2500.4 is only 92dB, Fs=32Hz...
Volt Loudspeakers - BM2500.4

This I haven't forget to mention in my last post. It is also a very good loudspeaker brand especially for smaller chambers. Commercial subwoofer devices from the english brand name "REL" are equipped with volt loudspeakers.
check out
REL Acoustics : Great Britain's most acclaimed Sub Bass Systems
(e. g. products - reference - STENTOR III)
there are also a download aera for folders so as owner's- service- and instruction manuals of older models.

Focal Audiom 12ax Images and Data Sheet

here are some images and genuine data sheet of Focal's Audiom 12AX
Qms is nearly 10, but the associated diagram of impedance is missing (frequency response was printed twice).
Is there a correction resp. supplement by Focal (last image from 15ax shows the correct diagram in this case) ?
Thank you for upload.

Attachments

• Focal Audiom 12ax motor.JPG
    Focal Audiom 12ax motor.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Focal Audiom 12ax sticker.JPG
    Focal Audiom 12ax sticker.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 149
  • Focal Audiom 12ax terminal.JPG
    Focal Audiom 12ax terminal.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Focal Audiom 12ax term-II.JPG
    Focal Audiom 12ax term-II.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 171
  • Focal Audiom 12ax multimagnet.JPG
    Focal Audiom 12ax multimagnet.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 172
  • Focal Audiom 12ax multimag.II.JPG
    Focal Audiom 12ax multimag.II.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 278
  • Focal Audiom 12ax datasheet.pdf
    101 KB · Views: 65
  • Audiom15AX datasheet.jpg
    Audiom15AX datasheet.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Hi, there are some 8"-10" drivers that are ~95db or more around 1khz but none that are sensitive in the bass region. For example FaitalPro 8pr155 is like this. You'd have to horn load or go for a bigger driver and box to get some sensitivity on the bass.

Remember you can have only two optimized from size, low extension and loud. Want loud and low extension, gotta be big. Checkout BMS 18n862 for example, pretty good sensitivity on a relatively small enclosure. What is the application?

Last edited: