A 2-way Omni experiment - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2010, 11:29 PM   #11
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

Um, I'm a measurements guy, own a measurements company! Trust me, this one does not provide gain. And the response had to be EQ'd with a boost centered at 11kHz (among other things).
Old 30th March 2010, 12:22 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I have never heard or even touched these speakers, but they look interesting.

I have heard the Plutos and personally favor 3-way dipoles for both front mains and rear surrounds. The Plutos gave me a "well that's a new sound" rush, but when I put on a multi-channel SACD or DVD a full range dipole both created a soundstage, while still maintaining the room's acoustic signature. "They are here" for better or worst in your untreated living room.
Old 30th March 2010, 12:28 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

The pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLweb-paar-tineo.jpg (57.4 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg TW-BL.jpg (82.0 KB, 423 views)
Old 30th March 2010, 01:43 AM   #14
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much, Bill, for another very thought provoking contribution to the audio world. To maintain what's left of my sanity I'm going to read past your comments regarding dipole line sources because I've been working way too long on a dipole project and can't look back at this point. Nonetheless, ever since hearing some Walsh drivers I've thought that omni- or quasi-omnidirectional speakers have some very interesting properties. I'm intrigued that you've gotten such satisfying sound out of conventional drivers used a bit unconventionally. If I can ever finish the dipoles I'll have to consider omnis for my next project. Maybe they'd work well for nearfield computer-based listening.

Few
Old 30th March 2010, 04:19 AM   #15
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
Um, I'm a measurements guy, own a measurements company! Trust me, this one does not provide gain. And the response had to be EQ'd with a boost centered at 11kHz (among other things).

That's unusual considering the diameter of the driver which should have a significant loss in pressure above 10 kHz off-axis. (..normally anything displacing/directing the primary axis +/- 30 degrees *should* usually add something, even if it's with in a "broad" (vertical dispersion) radial pattern.)

But if you've tested it vs. 0 deg., then sure - I'll take your word. Besides, its all academic.. you've achieved a satisfactory result.

You might also try looking for Dan Neubecker's (dlneubec) designs on this forum and others.. his work isn't the same, but there are some similarities. I believe el Ol also has some radial designs here as well (..and particularly those using wave guides).

Anyway, nice project!
Old 30th March 2010, 11:12 AM   #16
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
After reading Floyd Toole's book, I thought I'd make some back surround speakers for my setup and, for this, to try an omnidirectional design.
very nice, perhaps You can read and join the thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...om-system.html

omni or quasi-omni in a listening room is one of main topics of it

BTW - can You try Beveridge placement with those pipes in Your room? It is the placement described in the first post of the thread.

best regards,
graaf

Last edited by graaf; 30th March 2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 30th March 2010, 11:23 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Few View Post
To maintain what's left of my sanity I'm going to read past your comments regarding dipole line sources because I've been working way too long on a dipole project and can't look back at this point.
Few, I don't have any bad things to say about linesource dipoles, so I'd say full speed ahead. I think I'm going to stay with my dipoles in the front channels because the room is most often set up for two listeners in recliners with a space between. I'm able to cross the dipoles' forward pattern so we each sit partially in the null of the closer channel which helps broaden the sweet spot a lot. Doing that with the omnis doesn't work, the closer one is always louder. Can't toe-in with omnis!
Old 30th March 2010, 11:26 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

graaf -- thanks for the tip. I check out that discussion.

I still have to figure out what to do for the front center channel here. Maybe waveguides? That might not do so well, I should probably have the front center at least do its crossover where the line source crosses out. Suggestions?
Old 30th March 2010, 11:33 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Scott G, thanks for the tips on related posts, also.

I'm pretty interested in waveguides, a friend just sent me a plot of the off-axis response he got using a cheap conic waveguide and driver, pretty impressive. What would be neat would be an axial waveguide arrangement that controlled the vertical pattern for uniform response spectrum. I don't know a lot about waveguides so I don't know if that's even possible.
Old 31st March 2010, 12:59 AM   #20
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

Toed-in omnis, what a thought. Kind of like the sound of one hand clapping.

I hadn't thought about the "toe-in-ability" of the dipoles. Since my goal is to adjust my ESL panels' segmentation to minimize the variation in their response as a function of angle, and then equalize the response to flatten it (sound familiar?) I think that approach would be ideal. Thanks for the idea. I'm having flashbacks to my earliest encounters with Ted Jordan's designs way back in the day. He was a proponent of crossing the axes in front of the listener as well.

Thanks again.
Few

Hide this!Advertise here!