Pictures from a local DIY speaker event.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Don't get discouraged or intimidated

Jean,

I remember your setup and was impressed at what you had achieved just tuning by ear. I wouldn't get discouraged or intimidated and stay away from future gatherings as a result. Sure, there were many electrical engineers and others with years of experience in designing speakers, but as I'm sure you experienced, just about everyone I met at the Sacramento get together would be eager to give advice. There is a learning curve, and many of the Sacramento locals have a lot to offer.

SRMC

Re: Don't get discouraged or intimidated

SRMC said:
Jean,

I remember your setup and was impressed at what you had achieved just tuning by ear. I wouldn't get discouraged or intimidated and stay away from future gatherings as a result. Sure, there were many electrical engineers and others with years of experience in designing speakers, but as I'm sure you experienced, just about everyone I met at the Sacramento get together would be eager to give advice. There is a learning curve, and many of the Sacramento locals have to offer.

SRMC

hello,

you are right, and thanks for the reply.

the more I learn about this hobby, the more I realize how much I don't know :scratch: One thing for sure though, I'll be purchasing LspCad next before I start another project.

Sacto DIY

I'm not Jean, but I was at the event, so FWIW here are my impressions. The Linkwitz speakers are, in a word, incredible. Very well balanced, great spatial localization, not a hint of harshness, and more amazingly they sounded great from just about anywhere in the room. Now, a lot goes into this besides the speakers: they're actively equalized with 6-8 separate amps, and the demo material was very well selected and recorded. But whatever mix of factors led to the performance, the performance is phenomenal, a clear step better than the best other speakers presented (as it should be given Linkwitz' reputation and the price tag of nearly $4K.)

The Usher Tweet/Revolator Woofer combo was IMO quite nice too. Not close to the Orions but one of the better speakers of the day and arguably the best in its size range. I prefered it to the tall skinny MTM that went just before it. I missed hearing enough of the Modin's to comment.

Orions

One thing on the Orions though, they're not small and since they are dipoles they need to be several feet forward from the rear wall so the sound from the back side has room to propagate. Be sure your room is big enough. Linkwitz has several options for buying them -- different kits in varying degrees of comprehensiveness including both speakers and electronics -- so check his site for options and details. The active crossover/equalizer is a critical part of the package.

Kanga said:
Jean

I've read the report, and I'd be interested in your comments on the sound of the Linkwitz Orions vs say the Revelator woofer speakers and the Modins.

TIA

Mick

Sorry for late reply! That was my second time listening to the Orions in two different physical locations. The sound is very balanced, nothing really gets in your face . Highs are very smooth and not fatiguing, midrange is exceptionally clear and detailed. Bass is smooth and musical, it just seems to fillthe room yet stay in balance with overall sound of the speaker. I personally would like a little more low end, but they were setup in a pretty large room to begin with .

The Modins were very nice, they were very dynamic. I hope I don't get slammed for this but I liked the Fat MT midrange over the Modins, if I remember correctly it seemed to be more relaxed sounding compared to the Modins.

This is all highly subjective though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.