Front baffle materials (cork ?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few years ago, I quickly built a pair of speakers. Both the tweeters and woofers were surface mounted. They sounded good enough and I had no time to work more on those, so they stayed that way (with a quick painting job on the front baffle).

I'd like to properly finish the front baffle now, so that the drivers would sit flush. As both the tweeter and woofer protrude by 4mm, the easiest would be to glue on the front a 4mm thick panel with cutouts.

I was thinking about cork. It's rather widely available as floor tiles/rolls, easy to cut and some varieties aren't too ugly.

Is it a good idea or not ?

A few years ago, I quickly built a pair of speakers. Both the tweeters and woofers were surface mounted. They sounded good enough and I had no time to work more on those, so they stayed that way (with a quick painting job on the front baffle).

I'd like to properly finish the front baffle now, so that the drivers would sit flush. As both the tweeter and woofer protrude by 4mm, the easiest would be to glue on the front a 4mm thick panel with cutouts.

I was thinking about cork. It's rather widely available as floor tiles/rolls, easy to cut and some varieties aren't too ugly.

Is it a good idea or not ?
I am going to use cork for the side and rear panels of some of the speakers in the current builds. It's cheap, easy to apply, takes a stain well, can be polyurethane coated with a roller, will hide small panel movements that would be bleedingly obvious under paint, and I believe it will help damp what's left of the panel resonances.

Neoprene is softer than cork, so I guess it will work better to absorb high frequencies.

old_goods_40_489_1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.