Info on the Yamaha JA-6681 compression driver - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2010, 03:41 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

there was a whole family of yamaha compression drivers made, also super tweeters. Never heard one.

But last year there was a pair of yamaha JA-6604 compression drivers with 3" aluminium diaphragm on sale at ebay :

Yamaha - Audio Voice Acoustics

and they went for only 141,00 Euros.

they might would have been worth a test...
Old 7th April 2010, 06:08 AM   #12
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

I only listened to the monitors for 10 minutes but I was VERY impressed. I currently run JBL 2441 with Radian diaphragms. I also have TAD 4001. I've had Altec 288C as well as the other JBL 2" drivers. I thought, in my short time with the Yamahas, they sounded as good as any of the CDs I've had or have.

I grabbed them for a friend that does not have the $$$ to build speakers at the moment. I wish I could keep them for myself.

I'll post pix when I can.
Old 7th April 2010, 06:35 AM   #13
Radian is offline Radian  Germany
diyAudio Member

The 6604 had the diaphragms of the 6681, so they would have been worth buying just
for the diaph.
Old 7th April 2010, 08:09 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

If we would make a combined effort and everyone of us owners of the JA-6681 would
contact Radian separately than they might be talked into manufacturing diaphragms.
Especially since the 6603,6604 and also the Meyer Sound 1401a can be equipped with
the same diaphragms. The MS1401a is still used allot and the diaphragms for them cost
a fortune at Meyer Sound. The Radian diaphragms usually sound a bit better than the
originals they replace, so we could be confident that they would do a good job with the
Yamaha drivers.

Greets,
Klaus
Old 7th April 2010, 08:12 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn View Post
I only listened to the monitors for 10 minutes but I was VERY impressed. I currently run JBL 2441 with Radian diaphragms. I also have TAD 4001. I've had Altec 288C as well as the other JBL 2" drivers. I thought, in my short time with the Yamahas, they sounded as good as any of the CDs I've had or have.

I grabbed them for a friend that does not have the $$$ to build speakers at the moment. I wish I could keep them for myself.

I'll post pix when I can.
How does the JBL with the Radian diaphragms compare to the TAD 4001?
Old 7th April 2010, 01:33 PM   #16
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hard to believe but that's how cheap it looks if you take both ends off.
It probably did not cost more than any other 1 driver to manufacture.
The 6681 shares the housing and other parts with the much more expensive 6670, with which I suppose it was interchangeable. I was surprised by how light and hollow they felt when I got mine.

John
Old 7th April 2010, 02:12 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsem View Post
The 6681 shares the housing and other parts with the much more expensive 6670, with which I suppose it was interchangeable. I was surprised by how light and hollow they felt when I got mine.

John
Well, not quite. The 6670 was a true Alnico driver and therefore used soft core iron for the magnetic flux. The Motor was alltogether just different.
It was also about 6X more expensive.
Attached Images
File Type: png JA-6670 vs.JA-6681.png (195.0 KB, 709 views)
Old 7th April 2010, 03:48 PM   #18
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radian View Post
How does the JBL with the Radian diaphragms compare to the TAD 4001?
No comparison. With the 2441 I have to run the big Heil tweeter and I don't with the TAD. Now, the 2441 with the TrueXtent barrilium diaphragm goes just a bit higher than the TAD.....out to 18k or so, and with its mylar surround, it sounds better than the TAD. Black Swamp audio is selling the TruexTent dia for lower than anywhere else I've found.

So you can do the 2441 or 2445 with the TrueXtent for MUCH less $$$ and sound better (by just a bit) than the TAD.
Old 7th April 2010, 04:47 PM   #19
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radian View Post
Well, not quite. The 6670 was a true Alnico driver and therefore used soft core iron for the magnetic flux. The Motor was alltogether just different.
It was also about 6X more expensive.
That's interesting. I guess the rear cover is all that they shared. I would have guessed that all of the flux return paths were internal.

John
Old 7th April 2010, 05:24 PM   #20
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

Where are you guys finding the Yamaha drivers?

Hide this!Advertise here!