Many small vs. single large woofer - what gives the greatest dynamics?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You had me confused for a minute there Doug. :-/
"Going back" to 12" for me would mean smaller drivers. You mean that you were using 6" or 8" drivers, right?

My experience has been that 15s and 18s just have more grunt then the same surface area of multiple small drivers. Don't know why, but that is how it seems. I could just be prejudiced. Or do they just couple to the air better?

lol, sorry about that.

Yes, When I was a kid in school I had those big 12" woofers in my main speakers for rock n' roll, I grew out of that, got married, WAF stuff and I went to the slim 6 - 8" drivers...I felt like I lost my man hood for years, of course I drive a minivan (2 toddlers) so I lost that man card completely :D

We biult a new house 3 years ago so I was able to put an IB array and I have a custom HT room for all my testing/building spekers. I was able to get back to those 12-15" woofers. Im really not sure why I went 12" instead of 15" though.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I found empirically to double the speaker size going from closed box to dipole (and this to aplpy to midrange as well).
So, for instance a 6" in a box => 12" in dipole. This iss my case and I feel my woofers to behave this way (and to lack the lower end likewise).
That's the same as making the cone area 4 times larger - doesn't seem to be too far off to me. It depends on your baffle size as well of course.

With the right driver, it may also deliver a lot better dynamics than closed box. But be prepared for a couple of 15" if you want any deep bass......

would the slam compare to sealed woofers? in your experience Stig how many OB woofers equal the impact of a given number of sealed woofers? (hope this question makes sense)

wouldn't it be cleaver to go OB down to the lowest room-mode and then sealed?

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
would the slam compare to sealed woofers? in your experience Stig how many OB woofers equal the impact of a given number of sealed woofers? (hope this question makes sense)
"Slam" is very subjective.... some think that only bass-reflex have "slam", some think that only dipoles can have it... if you mean clean transient attach, then OB is what I think is best.

I would at least quadruple the cone area when going from sealed box to OB. It will depend on the baffle size of course.
wouldn't it be cleaver to go OB down to the lowest room-mode and then sealed?
Possibly.....

Have you never heard of Google?

Discovered it today (...) :)

Roughly quarter wavelenght, if the baffle height is much larger than the width.
340 / 500 / 4 = 0,17 meters

In a square baffle, approx half wavelength:
340 / 500 / 2 = 0,34 meters

You can simulate this with EDGE.
Home of the Edge

Cheers :) I tried EDGE, and if I have understood it right it shows that baffle step starts at aprox 300hz with a 24x95 cm baffle. I guess I will have to go with a more narrow baffle and smaller woofers to get the ** frequency up to around 500hz, which is where they will be crossed over to the mid/tweeter.

Attachments

• BS.jpg
    BS.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 201
My experience

I think the real difference between a single large woofer and multiple smaller ones is in the coupling to the air.
The thing I noticed from going from an 8" sealed woofer to 12 12" (and 8 8") open baffle woofers was the way how much more dynamic and tight/clean bass became, not how deep the bass sounded.

So, my belief is that the lower the frequency, the better it is to have a larger surface area unless the only requirement is low frequency. All else is a compromise on tight/clean bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.