Audiolense, J River, Lynx 2B dig x-over, Linkwitz Orion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,

I have been fooling around with DIY speakers for a while, I used to be a member of the bass list and now mainly participate at AVS. There are a couple of projects I have been procrastinating on which I would like to get started with, but I'm having some difficulty with the PC side. I'll start with my first and simpler project.

Anyone running a Linkwitz Orion with a digital x-over?

Anyone know the transfer function for the Linkwitz x-over so that I can use the same with a digital x-over?

Any thoughts on using Audiolense and J River with a Lynx 2B card to run a digital x-over for Linkwitz Orion speakers?

How seamless is the Audiolense when used in conjunction with J River?

How good is the DRM in the Audiolense?

I J River able to handle running a 6 channel digital x-over with few problems?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi MerlinGS,

I don't know whether anyone is running Audiolense with Linkwitz Orion, but Audiolense is used with dipoles with success in a few setups.

Audiolense and JRiver and LynxTwoB works really well for music play back.

JRiver has an Asio pluginhost that makes it possible to have true Asio rendering with sound correction included. This is the most pure way of doing it, and as far as I know, the only way you can have Asio all the way + sound correction.

There is a little trick involved in preparing JRiver for digital crossover: You have to specify a playback format (5.1 for 6 channel of correction) that has at least as many outputs as you need to do the crossover duties.

Video rendering requires a different setup. Streamed video from www of from your hard drive can be set up with Audiolense correction and multichannel correction as well.

There's a brief H2 do this in the Audiolense help file.

If you want to play back DVD Video disks it gets more complicated. Then you have to set up JRiver to use a 3.rd party player (e.g. media player classic) and enable the sound correction in there.

The video sound correction resides in the DirectX world. And no one seems to really understand how this worlds accepts some DX components and rejects others. There's a lot of compatiblity issues between plugins, codecs and other DirectX components, and often, the convolverfilter / convolverwrapper will not show up in the rendering path. Setting it up is doable, but you may have to do some trial and error (and some www investigation) before you manage to get the convolverfilter or convolverwrapper to really become a part of the rendering path.

I don't think such a path will work with DRM protected Audio (but then I don't know how widespread DRM is either). But you will get 16 bit 48kHz Audio out whenever there is DRM protection. But corrected 16 bit/48kHz will anyway sound better than uncorrected hi rez so this is probably as good as it gets at the moment.

In brief: Very easy to get this running for music, more struggle to get it working for video. As soon as it is working it can be set up to be quite user friendly. I would say it is at seemless as it gets on a computer right now.

Last edited:
IMO if you're going to the trouble of measuring the Orion there's not much point in replicating the ASP in a PC crossover for audio only listening---linear phase would make more sense. See also StigErik's open baffle build thread in this forum and the discussion over here.

For low latency playback to sync with video I'd lean towards warped phase IIR in hardware, though it's unclear to me if the 2496 implements linear or warped phase FIR. Along with the Behringer, the Motu Ultralite and 828 are interesting candidates. Possibly the Emu 1616 as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.