Aussies, VIFA NOS at Jaycar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Hi Col
Last time i saw them at "Speaker-bits" they were about $117- GST included.
Jaycar must know how many people want these still; I know they are available again in the USA

For comparison the P-13 was $88- plus 10% and the M-11-MH -08 is still $94 plus 10%

I think the Scan Speak version P17 would sell for less or around the same based on the prices I have found. Depends on the distributor and final resellers mark up.

At Madisound the SS 18W8434 (Discovery) is US$67.40 and the SS P17WJ00 is US$65.55 which makes it cheaper. Using Australian trade prices from the distributor the 18W8434 is A$18 cheaper than the Vifa version of the P17. Based on the Madisound structure it would be cheaper than the 18W8434 so would be around A$100 retail if the resellers aren't too greedy and use normal mark up. I wouldn't be surprised to see these resellers adding additional mark up as it's a Scan Speak even though the trade price from the distributor is very reasonable and priced the same as a SB Acoustic SB17NRX.

The Discovery series are extremely good value in Australia as the distributor has them priced sensibly.... it's up to the resellers to follow this and keep greed in check.

P17 - D25AG kits

There was a Tafe speaker design course in Melbourne (ceased) and they had a P17 D25AG kit, 30 L vented or 10 L sealed box, which sold in the 100's.

ETI / Silicon Chip / Jaycar also had a 2 1/2 way kit with 2 P17's in each box.

Some D25 AGs didn't have a rear chamber and some did specs were slightly different eg Fs and dB/W.

The D25ag-35-06 has a rear chamber the d25ag-05-06 does not.

JV60 or JC60 was the name of the 2 1/2 way kit you are refering to (I think) apparently, it was quite good.

I also checked out those 6.5" 2 way vifas (although I didn't purchase them). I drive a bf falcon ute, and the sound system is sh!t house, (actually I believe that to be a compliment). Maybe I should just keep looking for the solution.

Cheers, Mick.

Last edited:
It would be nice if we could get them to measure drivers again (at least "Response Precision" series); they only seem to have measurements for the Hi-Vi, Vifa, etc. that are already measured by the respective companies.

That Vifa does look like a nice driver, but out of my range at the moment. :p Plus I already have a few pairs of buyouts from the various stores in my area (none with any measurements!!!)

Hey guys a note of caution.

I don't think the P17 they are selling is the same P17 they used to sell. For a start the basket is different. They need to be measured and compared otherwise you will need to model the behaviour etc etc. That means it will be a different driver requiring a different box and a different xover.

Terry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.