My Loudspeaker Project: a 2 way transmission line. Phase 1: selecting drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!

Since that I'm in hollydays now :) I can really start working on my loudspeaker project.

I want to build a pair of TL floorstanders (1m-1m20 high), they will be 2 way (not 100% sure for this. Maybe 2.5 way or 2 way with 2 midbass for bafle step compensation).

I'm not decided for the drivers now, so I'm asking for your advices ;)

I want to use a low order passive XO, 1st or 2nd order, or a series XO. So drivers that have a flat frequency response are required, nice rollofs and no big peaks such as 6dB cone breakup.

Requirements for the drivers:

Midbass: since it will be in a TL, Qts must be at least 0.34

Tweeter: the speaker will certainly be 2way, and with a low order XO, so the tweeter's free air resonance has to be low enough

Since it's my first speaker project, I don't know what I can use. I have rarely listened diy speakers, so I ask your opinions about the speakers I could use.

I don't even know what size the drivers have to be; 6 1/2 midbass? 8"? 5"? 1" tweeter?

The maximum is can spend is 50€ for the tweeter, and 150€ for the midbass. This is the absolute maximum. If I end up with 150€ total or less, it's nice :)

Can you help me?

Thanks
Alex

Bricolo,
Did you come to any conlcusions from your other thread asking for opinions about among other drivers, the HM170G8? Or have you ruled those drivers out and are now searching for other alternatives? I still don't think you can go wrong with those Audax drivers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I dont remember the exact web address, but there is a good TL design out there using the Peerless 850122, and a peerless tweeter. I would change the tweeter to somthing else, since there really arent that many good peerless tweeters out there, maybe a SEAS or somthing. This will of coruse require some XO adjustment, but it sounds like you were planning on doing your own anyways. I have heard that it gets well into the 30's, which is great for a 2-way.

-Paul Hilgeman

delwon: the audax are on my list ;) I just want more opinions. It's not because I can't go wrong with audax that I can't find better

PaulHilgeman: you certainly mean the Peerles Pipes, by Bob Brynes
http://www.geocities.com/rbrines1/Pages/Peerless_Pipe.html
?
Those are an alternative, but I'd like designing my speakers myself, not copying something on the web.

The midbass in the peerless pipes seems good, the tweeter, as sayd on another thread, could be replaced by the seas 27TFFC

For my driver selection, I started looking on manufacturer's websites, and selecting those the midbass that have a >0.34 Qts, and tweeters with a <1200 Fs.
But thi gives no informations about theyr sound quality, that's why I ask here for opinions, about speekers that meets my criterias, and that are known to sound good

PaulHilgeman said:
I dont remember the exact web address, but there is a good TL design out there using the Peerless 850122, and a peerless tweeter.

-Paul Hilgeman

If it's not actually at www.t-linespeakers.org , then there is probably a link to it on the "links" page. And even if you can't find that project, there are plenty of linked sites that explain and experiment with TL designs.

Dave

aaahhhem, If I may make suggestion bricolo, why not build the one featured in THE JULY '91 issue of HFN&RR BY A MR Mcdonald, you don't have to copy it just use the article as guidence, and design it around the PEERLESS 850146 10 in [ 250mm] unit, this driver has a very smooth and benign response making it ideal from a spec point of view for TL loading, and series x/overwith a qts of 0.35, fs of 22.6 Hz and will reach high enough to integrate with almost any dome tweeter @ 3kHz the response making it ideal for series x/over, not difficult to do, and the five layer sandwich cone assures a nice clean sound low on coloration:D cheers and regards, TC:goodbad: :devily:

yep, just check out the peerless site and the driver,,,:D nothing unusual abot this as the article I refered to in HFN&RR used a 10 in VOLT unit, combined with an elac 1 in alloy dome tweeter, and of course back in the late 60's KEF combined the b139 with a t33 tweeter which was not very successful as the b139 breaks up violently at around 1k BTW; the b139 essentially has the same cone area as a nominal 10in driver whereas in comparison the peerless 850146 has a nice smooth response at the top end with an inherent smooth drop off at 4k making it suitable for use in a 2way especially with a simple series x/over without having to resort to compensation of any sort + efficiency is 88.2dB so most tweeters will easilly match with a simple series res to bring it into line:nod: cheers,:devily: :devilr: TC JUST MAKE SURE YOU READ WMY PREV POST AND ABSORB IT:smash:

qwad said:
yep, just check out the peerless site and the driver,,,:D nothing unusual abot this as the article I refered to in HFN&RR used a 10 in VOLT unit, combined with an elac 1 in alloy dome tweeter, and of course back in the late 60's KEF combined the b139 with a t33 tweeter which was not very successful as the b139 breaks up violently at around 1k BTW; the b139 essentially has the same cone area as a nominal 10in driver whereas in comparison the peerless 850146 has a nice smooth response at the top end with an inherent smooth drop off at 4k making it suitable for use in a 2way especially with a simple series x/over without having to resort to compensation of any sort + efficiency is 88.2dB so most tweeters will easilly match with a simple series res to bring it into line:nod: cheers,:devily: :devilr: TC JUST MAKE SURE YOU READ WMY PREV POST AND ABSORB IT:smash:

Vas=144L
I want a floorstander, not a fridge ;)

Salut Bricolo,

The Vifa P17wj008 are very nice mid/bass driver (They are classic drivers). I use them in a MTM configuration and like them a lot (serie x-over). They sound very clean and accurate. I was surprise by the details they can provide vs their price. You should take a look at their specifications & see if they would be good for your application.

Best regards,

Daniel

NO NOT AT ALL, the design I was talking about is only a fraction taller than 1m x 375mm d x 275mm w, you see you miss the point, you are not aiming for a BR box but a TL which by it's very nature will be a more compact size for bass extension, than a BR, see:smash: we had this once before a couple of months backand I should have known better than to reply to your thread....:nod: , because all you seem to do is go around in ever diminishing circles, until you eventually disapear up yourself:mafioso: without really getting anywhere, cheers:devilr: :devily: :bawling: TC, end of discussion, perhaps you should call yourself PGH, a well known local brick maker:idea: :clown:

qwad said:
NO NOT AT ALL, the design I was talking about is only a fraction taller than 1m x 375mm d x 275mm w, you see you miss the point, you are not aiming for a BR box but a TL which by it's very nature will be a more compact size for bass extension, than a BR, see:smash: we had this once before a couple of months backand I should have known better than to reply to your thread....:nod: , because all you seem to do is go around in ever diminishing circles, until you eventually disapear up yourself:mafioso: without really getting anywhere, cheers:devilr: :devily: :bawling: TC, end of discussion, perhaps you should call yourself PGH, a well known local brick maker:idea: :clown:

according to augspurger's paper, with a 0.36Qts and 144L Vas, even using the normal table (not the extended one requiring more volume) I end up with Vas/Vp=3.1 -> 46L
that's pretty big

no other ideas for the drivers?

For the tweeter, I saw the
Audaw TW025M0
Seas 27TFFC

Midbass:
Audaw the HM (prefessional series) coated paper, HDA and carbon units
Peerless CSX176

but I've only looked at the speaker's specs, if they fit my project. I have no ides about sound quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.