My Loudspeaker Project: a 2 way transmission line. Phase 1: selecting drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Briccolo

7V's post sums it up fairly well, I think you just need to take the plunge and go buy some drivers;)

Whilst I appreciate you want to get the best system you can for your money, it is an endless quest searching for the best driver, and you will never build anything.

The other point is that I think you said this is your first speaker project. No matter how hard you try, and how much time you spend on it, it won't be perfect, simply because the only way to learn is by doing! Reading, research, simulation, etc, are all great practises, but they won't help the first time you get a router in your hand and try doing a cut;)

I don't think there have been any poor drivers mentioned in this thread, so you just have to make your choice, buy some bits and go for it.

Go on, you know you want to!:)

Thanks, Al & Steeve

My home won't move, and Idon't want to buy speakers only according to theyrs specs
I think I'll have to take my car and have a ride to some other speakershops :)

But I still don't know which midbass size would fit best.
For the tweeter, a 1" would be good, I think (10mm ones have a too high Fs for a 2way)

I'm thinking about a 6 1/2, but only because It's the most common size I see on 2 way floorstanders. Is this good, or should I use a larger/smaller one?

Bricolo,
It depends on what you're looking for. I think most 2 ways use a 6.5" woofer because you can build a narrower box so aesthetically, the 2 way looks better. Of course, if you use an 8", you'll get better bass response, but the box will necessarily have to be bigger and many people don't like their boxes that big. The other consideration is that many will tell you that there aren't many 8" woofers that will play high enough cleanly to work well in a 2 way.I happen to think the HM210CO will easily work in a 2 way as I have one. There probably are other that will work as well.
So as others have already said....there comes a point where you just have to dive in and go build it.

Ian J said:
Delwon,

What tweeter are you using with the HM210C0 and what x-o? Nelson Pass has said this woofer will work fine without any filter, or just a small L, though I'm assuming that would be without any baffle-step comp.
Ian

If I remember correctly, Delwon uses his HM210C0 with a TWO25A1
Nelson Pass used to use it with a TW025M0

Ian J,
Bricolo is right about the tweeter. While I've built two pairs of TLs using the HM210CO with the TWO25MO for a couple of friends, when I built my pair, the 25MO was no longer available so I used the 25M1. Still a very good tweeter. I'm not even sure that the 25M1 is available any longer, but I've heard from a good pair of ears the the 25A1 is pretty good also. As far as my xover goes, I have a 3uF cap and in series with a 2 ohm resistor, both in series with the tweeter. On the woofer, I have a 1mH coil paralleled with a .67 ohm resistor in series with the woofer.

delwon said:
Ian J,
Bricolo is right about the tweeter. While I've built two pairs of TLs using the HM210CO with the TWO25MO for a couple of friends, when I built my pair, the 25MO was no longer available so I used the 25M1. Still a very good tweeter. I'm not even sure that the 25M1 is available any longer, but I've heard from a good pair of ears the the 25A1 is pretty good also. As far as my xover goes, I have a 3uF cap and in series with a 2 ohm resistor, both in series with the tweeter. On the woofer, I have a 1mH coil paralleled with a .67 ohm resistor in series with the woofer.

The M0 is still available
The M1 isn't

The A1 isn't available anymore,
but the A0 is (it seems that there is a kind of logic here :D)

there's also the A8, A10, A12, A14, A16, A20 and A26 (the last two ones cost 129 and 119€!)

delwon, since you used the 2 speakers on my list (TW025M0 and 27TFFC) how do they sound compared to each other?

Bricolo,
Sorry, as I think about it, I didn'y use the 25MO. I used the A1. Trying to find differences between the two would be trying to split hairs. I can say that both of the Audax tweeters that I've used and the Seas tweeter are very good. The 27TFFC is 6 ohms and is more sensitive...even more so than stated in its specs...so you'd have to pad it more than the Audax tweeter. I think the 27TFFC is a bit clearer than the Audax. That being said, I never feel like I'm missing anything when I listen to the HM210CO/TWO25A1 TL. Very good sound. If you like that sparkle in your music, then I'd go for the 27TFFC. I don't think you'd regret either one if that's what you ultimately choose from.

thanks delwon ;)

Now I'm seriously thinking about building peerless pipes, but with the 27TFFC instead of the peerless tweeter (I'll have to find another name for those speakers since they won't be 100% peerless :D)

I just have to see how the acourstic reality series crossover works with 6R tweeters/ 8R midbass, and how I can padd the tweeter with this specific XO

aaahhhem, If I may make suggestion bricolo, why not build the one featured in THE JULY '91 issue of HFN&RR BY A MR Mcdonald, you don't have to copy it just use the article as guidence, and design it around the PEERLESS 850146 10 in [ 250mm] unit, this driver has a very smooth and benign response making it ideal from a spec point of view for TL loading, and series x/overwith a qts of 0.35, fs of 22.6 Hz and will reach high enough to integrate with almost any dome tweeter @ 3kHz the response making it ideal for series x/over, not difficult to do, and the five layer sandwich cone assures a nice clean sound low on coloration:D cheers and regards, TC:goodbad: :devily:
I have a copy of Richard McDonald's TL design. I built a pair thirty years ago and have never regretted it.
How can I upload a pdf of the article?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.