NaO Note preview

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finished my Notes a couple of days ago. They use the Acoustic Elegance IB15 in H-baffles instead of the originals XLS U-baffles. After some tinkering with the MiniDSP I got the basses tuned in. Needless to say, they sound awesome! I'm very happy how they turned out. Thanks JohnK for a fantastic design!

The top baffle.

Note_top.jpg

And here's the complete left channel including the poweramp doubling as a base. :D

Note_topbot.jpg

Would it be of benefit, or harm, to move the 10F and neo3 back on the baffle, therefore time aligning with the 6.5" driver?
I believe they are "time aligned" already.
If you measure a cone driver in a narrow open baffle from the front, the acoustic center AC appears to be at another position than measured from the back. In most cases that I have measured, the best "compromise" between front and rear AC tends to be the front of the driver basket. Aligning all drivers on the same baffle at least "works well" for me.

Would it be be of benefit, or harm, to move the 10F and neo3 back on the baffle, therefore time aligning with the 6.5" driver? The consequent diffraction may be too much of an issue?

Changing the position of the drivers would require redesign of the passive panel crossover. In addition it would alter the polar response of the 10F (bad). The Neo3 is already mounted on the back side of the baffle. It's not an option to change mounting positions.

The entire issue of time alignment has to be discussed with an understanding of what is trying to be accomplished. Alignment of acoustic centers is one issue. Time aligning for first arrivals is another.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the Nao Note II pictured in the ob gallery thread. Reasonable price driver in the "Scanspeak Discovery 22W/8534G for the lower mid" which will conveniently fit in my double layer baffle created for the Visaton B200.

Also, Neo3PDR prices have gone way up so a change here, plus greater dispersion, would be welcome.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/123512-ultimate-ob-gallery-18.html#post3207317

Obviously, with SL introducing the his LX521 I feel obligated to show where I'm at withthe NaO Note II. I'll have more infor up shortly.

As mentioned in the NaO Note II RS topic I have had a great opportunity to live with Nao Note (The original one with B&G Neo3) for a week. So I better revive this thread rather than polluting the above :)

My impression can be read here:
www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/221948-nao-note-ii-rs-22.html#post3283625

Here are some measurement of the Nao Note. These are indoor measurements so please take it with a grain of salt (I usually do outdoor measurement).

First, the frequency response at the design axis, which is between the top woofer and midrange. Excellent response except the last octave. It might have contributed the the "soft" impression of the sonics.

NaoNote%2520Design%2520axis.png

Could this be due to vertical dispersion? I am lucky that my ears are at the design axis. However I can observe that the tweeters are elevated quite high from there. So I am practially listening to them off axis vertically. Here I compare the above measurement with one at the Tweeter axis.

NaoNote%2520T%2520axis.png

Second, the polar response. Again, this is indoor measurement so it is not ideal. Especially ignore anything lower than 1.5khz. But our interest here is the higher frequencies.

NaoNote%2520Directivity.png

I do not know the xo frequency between the midrange and tweeter. It shows correct dipole response (-6db@60deg) but then the response narrows about 8-9khz. In Musicanddesign graph below it looks more around 6-8khz. There is also off-axis peak at 10khz which could be seen from both graph.

NaoNote.png

NaO_NoteDetails.html

It would be very interesting to see what the changes are with the new Nao II RS with dome tweeters replacing the planar.

These are excellent speakers which I would surely miss when the owner pick them up tomorrow.

Hi Gainphile, I appreciate you independent measurements. The anomalies you are seeing in the polar response are due to the behavior of the Neo3 which is why I when to the Vifa domes in the new version of the Note. I'm a little surprised at the drop off of the axial response in the first plot as my system is pretty flat out to 15k and then drops off fairly fast, to -10dB at 20k. It seems there may be some inconsistencies in the Neo3 tweeters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.