NaO Note preview - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2010, 07:15 PM   #71
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
How's it looking on the launch John?
This are progressing. I have been listening for the last couple of weeks. Making some final adjustments. Still working on documentation. added a burst response plot taken with Arta to my web page:

Click the image to open in full size.

It looks pretty good. I'm please overall.

I have a lot on my table right now. Fires to put out. The speaker will be at the DIY NE. I may have to delay launch until just after than because I have other obligations which must also be completed by then.

Last edited by john k...; 9th September 2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 9th September 2010, 10:28 PM   #72
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Sorry to hear your table is on fire John, but good luck with the show.
Old 13th September 2010, 11:18 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

quick calculation on driver cost sans shipping:

Neo3 $86.00
10F/4424G $171.60
ER18RNX $325.60
835016 $645.20
------------------
TOTAL $1,228.40
Old 13th September 2010, 01:32 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

Probobly out of context of this thread, but John, i was wondering if you have any plans of a NaO variation using the B&G Neo10? It's measured characteristics would suggest a near perfect driver for Dipole implementation. Thanx.
Old 13th September 2010, 02:14 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
What can I say. I work with the tools that I have.
Your software cannot do overlaid frequency responses? Download REW for free. It can do 18 of them I believe.

Dan
Old 13th September 2010, 02:54 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am glad to see that SL is not sitting on his laurels. When I build the Orion it was disturbingly obvious (to me) that the NaO II was significantly more natural sounding through the midrange, and I stated so at the time. (Of course who ever listened to me regarding the Orion?) Not that the Orion wasn't a good speaker at the time, but there was clearly room for improvement. This improvement has come slowly with the addition of the rear tweeter, subwoofers and now further modification to the eq.

In any event, the Note will be another option to those who wish to build a hybrid dipole speaker system.
I listen to my Summas for about eight to twelve hours a day, and occasionally I'll arrange them as a dipole. (One Summa facing forward, the other facing back, in the middle of the room.)

It's surprising how different this sounds; you'd think the extra energy radiated backwards would make a subtle difference.

But it's NOT subtle; the in-room sound is noticeably different.

I really enjoy the effect.

I DON'T enjoy moving 300lbs of loudspeaker though
Old 13th September 2010, 05:56 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I guess you concern is or was that the NaO II truly does out perform the Orion. The fact is that after hearing the Orion beside the NaO II not everyone walked aways with a NaO II plan set in hand. The coin has two sides, mac. It never concerned me that someone might choose the Orion over the NaO II. In fact, I know of at least one individual who made the effort to travel to an NaO owners home th hear them, then traveled to an Orion owners home to listen to them and finally ended up with a pair of Geddes speakers after auditioning them. Yuck!

It's all good!
That "Yuck!" was me. After e-mailing John K about his NaO II design I went to an owner of the NaO II in Pennsylvania and auditioned them on two separate occasions. I then auditioned the Orion's within about 3 months as well as the Pluto's in their latest iterations along with subwoofers (for both designs) directly at Sigfried's place, set up by SL himself. The NaO's were better and cheaper. In particular the midrange was cleaner sounding so John isn't just blowing smoke here. If somebody really wanted the Orions, I would ask them to audition the NaO's first or even GR Research's Super V's. My final encounter several months later was with Earl Geddes where I listened to his Summas on the worst electronics known to man and was completely blown away. I now own Abbeys but with John's U-frame subwoofers.

I hate to say this but you Orion enthusiasts are like flys on you know what. It's downright annoying. On its own its a good speaker. Factor in cost, and it becomes an overpriced speaker. And please don't compare yourselves to mega speakers from Dali, Von Schweikert, MBL, Legacy, etc...the designs I am speaking of are of much higher pedigree, in other words the competition is more fierce. The fellas that purchase $50K plus speakers could give a hoot about Earl Geddes, John K or SL. I could, but I am a diy'er and so I'm *informed* so to speak.

Sorry, but the Orions have been dethroned...

Anand.
Old 21st September 2010, 04:30 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

FIY, I have updated my website with info about the NaO Note. The plans will be released officially on October 1st, when I receive the new PCB for the active circuits.
Old 21st September 2010, 06:58 PM   #79
dlr is offline dlr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
FIY, I have updated my website with info about the NaO Note. The plans will be released officially on October 1st, when I receive the new PCB for the active circuits.
I can't recall ever having seen a polar response as smooth as that. Looking forward to hearing them.

dlr
Old 21st September 2010, 10:05 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

Thanks for posting comparable data John. Good looking and much appreciated.

Dan

Hide this!Advertise here!