Suggestions: Stereo Mid-Bass/Sub enclosure 'stands' for Bookshelf speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I have a set of old as dirt B&W DM100i bookshelf speakers that I love and think still sound great. But in my current room they're a little light in the lower regions.

My original plan was to build a set of full-range floor standing mains and move the B&W's to the rear of my Surround system.

But the wife thinks they're too chunky to hang off the wall and stands at the back of the room are out as long as I have a toddler that likes to pull everything down.

So I was thinking about building a set of mid-bass/sub enclosures to compliment the B&Ws and act as 'stands' sort of completing an aray...

Something like Nelson Pass' Sr1s...
http://www.passlabs.com/pass/175/speakers

The downside is that while I love the B&Ws and they've been with me like an old set of jeans, they are rather ugly and dated looking.
http://assets.bowers-wilkins.com/med/Libraries/3/DM100i_Archive_l2_w0_h0.pdf

So it might be tough to come up with a box that actually 'compliments' them physically.:eek:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Phil

I'm interested in this as well as i have a pair of 5.25" mid-woofer monitors that i like to use in a full range system. I know the c/o has to be modified to cross at about 250-350 Hz to the bass module. I don't think a lower mid-upper bass driver is necessary as most 10-12" woofers can go there. I owned the tower version of that B&W in the late 80s. Nice speakers.

I'm interested in this as well as i have a pair of 5.25" mid-woofer monitors that i like to use in a full range system. I know the c/o has to be modified to cross at about 250-350 Hz to the bass module. I don't think a lower mid-upper bass driver is necessary as most 10-12" woofers can go there. I owned the tower version of that B&W in the late 80s. Nice speakers.

The Mid-Bass suggestion was just based on Pass' design...
I'm not sure how much overlap you would want. My initial idea was 2 8" subs in each tower.
But maybe an 8" woofer and a 12" sub could work too... Maybe with the 8 facing forward and the 12 on the side? I don't know...

Maybe instead of using a series parallel setup and 4 drivers to keep 8Ohms, I could just use a single bass speaker... Maybe a 10" in the right enclosure.

I'm really open to anything at this point. Well... Anything with a reasonable WAF, anyway... :t_ache:

This is what my most recent build in this vein looks like ...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Under my DM302s i had a double Peerless 8" woofer.

Both were bi-amped,

dave

Thanks for replying Dave!
I've been pouring through your site for a couple weeks now getting ideas.

The enclosures look great! What's the structure like? Assuming TL?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.