Need some help repairing a pair of Allisons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I've been away for quite some time, and I was mostly a lurker back then anyway. The last post I made was about reconing a pair of Design Acoustics PS-10s for my friend, which turned out really well. Thanks sreten!

Thing is, I've inherited a pair of Allison Acoustics CD-6 cubes from my mom. She really doesn't listen to music anymore, I'm broke, and all I have are a pair of Wharfedale Valdus 400s, which aren't bad for dance and rock, but they whole ported sound really drives me nuts. Problem is, one of the 8" woofer's foam surrounds is rotted. These things are built really well, the cabinet is (practically?) airtight, and after removing the grille there doesn't seem to be any access to the woofer from the outside, ie can't remove the woofer without cracking open the cab.

I need a place on the east coast, preferably near Philadelphia that can open these puppies up and recone them for me. I found a place online 'Orange County Speaker Repair', but they're all the way in CA, and they don't recommend shipping whole cabs. I don't even want to imagine what the shipping would be like on these guys anyway, they're pretty heavy, I'm pretty broke.

Does anyone know a place around me that can deal with these? Am I just better off looking for another pair on eBay cheap, or even moving up to one of the floorstanders? I really like the sound of these guys, I don't have all kinds of acoustic treatment going on, and Roy Allison designed these things for typical home situations, they sound fantastic. Also, and I know this is the wrong forum for this question, but what DIY amp would you recommend for these?

Also, and this seems like a longshot, but if anyone is in or near Philly with the tools, I'll pay you to open em up and recone them! It's just one woofer on one cab.

Thanks in advance, you were really helpful on my last little project and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one! :D

Recones vs. Refoamed/Surrounds. Refoamed/Surrounds are not that difficult, the cone stays.
You can do it yourself and/or ask for the surrounds and glue. In Europe I use this shop where you can learn the method with videos or ask somebody to do it, if you don't feel like it.

The reconing isn't the problem, I've done that before, my problem is that on these speakers, the drivers are mounted to the inside of the cab so I can't just pull the driver out. I'm going to have to take one side of the cabinet off and put it back together to recone it. :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.