Open baffle radiation (FEM method) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2010, 01:31 PM   #11
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Thanks again sspeaker,
for the improved and diversified simulations. Beginning by the last one - 480 mm circular open baffle - I see that the influence of the magnet (and the V-cone) can almost be ignored, when the cone and magnet diameters are much smaller than the baffle. Your sim is very much in line with my result for a pistonic piston without a magnet IMHO:

Click the image to open in full size.

If the size of cone and piston are comparable to the baffle, I see much influence that does not get considered by conventional simulations. You already pointed to that.

I don't know how much time and effort I would rob from you - but would it be possible to show, what difference a magnet of larger/smaller diameter or more/less depth would make?

I would predict that making the magnet deeper has much less influence on the forward radiation pattern than changing the diameter of the magnet.

Rudolf

BTW: I understand that a meaningful simulation of the spider would be beyond the scope of this thread. For the time being I just would consider the spider as acoustically rigid - sort of 'front plate' of the magnet.
Attached Images
File Type: gif sspeaker_1.gif (7.8 KB, 145 views)
Old 25th April 2011, 03:42 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I also do some detail measurement recently, below is a 6.5inch pp driver mounted (front flush) in 350mm square baffle. below is the result (5-90deg normalized to 0deg).

but if we used a back flush mounted methods (of cause we need a flare end before the cone), the result seems better.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 6inch 35cm back flush.GIF (40.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 25th April 2011, 04:13 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I also do some detail measurement recently, below is a 6.5inch pp driver mounted (front flush) in 350mm square baffle. below is the result (5-90deg normalized to 0deg).

but if we used a back flush mounted methods (of cause we need a flare end before the cone), the result seems better.
Old 25th April 2011, 04:44 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

and a 8 inch in 330mm square baffle (all above also 330mm, not 350mm), the gray is flat baffle (front flush), and the color one is same baffle but with a side brace (like the Linkwitz's Orion).
I think for this width baffle we cannot use a cross point that excess 1200Hz.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 8IN 350 baffle with side.GIF (47.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: gif 8IN 350 baffle.GIF (38.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by sspeaker; 25th April 2011 at 05:11 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!