Fun with Altec

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Well, I had a fun day today going through all the Altec pieces I found at work. So far:

2 x 203b horns
1 x 1003b horns
2 x 1005b horns
2 x ? horns ( stamped no. 30146 )
4 x 288c drivers
3 x ? drivers ( No markings anywhere. The only difference from 288c is instead of a gold color where the three bolts stick out, it is a grey color.)
2 x 803b LF loudspeaker
2 x 515b LF loudspeaker

All in remarkable good condition. Can't wait to get the rest of it out of the celing and see what's there.

Tom

GM

Joined 2003
Gees, where do you work, it's a veritable goldmine?

Hmm, 301... numbers are normally throat adapters, but 30166 is the closest I can find. Never known of a horn with a number like that though.........

Dunno about the two tone colored drivers either. Need pics, dims of this stuff to guide us.

If you're not already a member, the Altec forum members might know: Altec User's Board - Hostboard

GM

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I work at a Civic Coliseum and Auditorium as the stage manager. This stuff is / was part of the old house system. Have been a live sound engineer for the last thirty-three years. Finally decided to settle down and take a house job with the city.
As far as the un-marked horns go, the numbers are stamped near the end of the throat, not on the throat adapter. I think they might be original part numbers? They are 8-cell, 14" deep by 25" wide. Also, the drivers in question look just like the 288c's. Where the three bolts stick out there is a circular band about an 1" wide. On the 288c's the color is gold, on the other drivers the color is gray. They are probable 288c's but I'm just not sure. The 803b's came out of A5 cabs and the 515b's came out of a larger horn loaded cab. Not sure of the model. Also counted 5 500-c dividing networks.
I'll work up some pics on the mystery stuff.

Tom

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Driver ID

Well, I posted this on the Altec hostboard and am still not sure. The driver on the right is the 288c. It has a gold color where the bolts stick out. It also has a diaphragm cap with a rubber gasket and felt backing. The driver on the left is unidentified. I think it is an older 288c. It has a gray color where the bolts stick out and the diaphragm cap has a rope gasket and no felt. Any ideas?

Sorry about the picture. I took it with my phone.

Tom

Attachments

• 0308001226.jpg
    0308001226.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 230
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Ok, so today I was walking by the ballroom upstairs at work and saw some speakers up on the ceiling overhang. Painted white. Been there for years. Took one down and it had a junk woofer but did have an Altec 807-8A driver bolted to an 811B horn with an N801-8A network. There are four of these. The stuff keeps showing up. I will have pics soon.

Ok, so today I was walking by the ballroom upstairs at work and saw some speakers up on the ceiling overhang. Painted white. Been there for years. Took one down and it had a junk woofer but did have an Altec 807-8A driver bolted to an 811B horn with an N801-8A network. There are four of these. The stuff keeps showing up. I will have pics soon.
Please think about starting a live Museum and/or diyaudio workshop, man... :captain::D:D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.