modified mid-fi?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi-

I stumbled upon a pair of VERY new Mackies HR-824 at a great price. These are active bi-amped (electronicaly crossed) studio monitors, with extreemly decent specs. (A/B class amps, 102 db SNR unweighted, .035% THD). However, there is a limit to how much you get in such a setup, when the MSRP is only around $700. I am sure that this system does not contain the most exotic parts. I even read somewhere on this forum that they use 1 cent resistors... So my question is, do you think I would benefit by replacing some of these parts with high quality parts? I have a very very limited knowlage about building electronics (I worked in a TV repair shop one summer in high shcool, and was responsible for soldering out parts that the tech pointed out, and then soldering good parts in. So I think I can easely handle taking out parts, finding parts with same ratings, and putting them back in. (I am much more reluctant to take on a project such a a DIY PASS amp...). I am thinking that rewiring the insides of these would be simple as well. Do you think it will be worth the time? The only other thing that I do not like about these speakers is that they feature a rather large mass-loaded passive radiator on the rear, behind the amplifiers. Not only does this present vibration issues, but also deminishes transient responce. I am sure it will be much harder to take care of this issue, but if anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. Thank you!!!

P.S. Does anyone recognize this driver?

Attachments

• 824.jpg
    824.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 72
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.