It's been a long time since I built my last set of speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2003, 11:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default It's been a long time since I made my last speakers

I played recently with some drivers and this is what I came with. AudioTechnology midbass and Triangle tweeter. It's still in a making, as crossovers are not done yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s1.jpg (44.6 KB, 1974 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 9th June 2003, 11:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here how the inside is made. I used combination of 5/8 MDF on the outside and 3/4 maple plank (3" wide) used for flooring on the inside. I wanted to combine both materials as MDF is pretty stable and good for laminating, while maple I hoped would add some properties to the better sound. Front baffle is also hardwood and I used here a cut-off from Ikea tabletop. I didn't want to use MDF as I used screws to hold the side panels and MDF is not really strong enough for that. To set the shape of the inside channels, I used 1/4 MDF side panels and that helped me in assembling everything that is seen in this pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s3.jpg (54.8 KB, 1889 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 9th June 2003, 11:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

For the sides I chose 1" x 6" maple boards and they are glued to the 1/4 sub panels. I also had to use screws to both simplify construction and prevent maple boards fram warping. I used filler to cover the holes and biscuit foints to strengthen everything. The corners are rounded on a router with 3/4" radius bit and everything is sanded with 220 grid paper and later sealed with Thompson Water Seal used for decks. It gives very smooth and natural looking finish, which I personally think is nicer than using laquer. The listening tests are still to follow. I still have some doubts as to how much damping should I use and if to cover all sides with foam on the inside or not. Just to add extra rigidity I attached 6" x 6" copper plates to the side panels, where the woofer is mounted.

I used some blown rubber around tweeter. First it improves the sound of high frequencies, second it gives better look, as I had impression that visually the tweeter was too low. It's better balanced now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s2.jpg (46.3 KB, 1804 views)
Old 9th June 2003, 11:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Peter

Very nice. Ikea does occasionally come in useful

So are you going with active or passive crossovers, or don't you know yet?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 9th June 2003, 11:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I was hoping not to use any crossover on mid bass unit as it falls down pretty steep at 5kHz and maybe first or second order filter on a tweeter.
Attached Images
File Type: gif fr.gif (6.9 KB, 1764 views)
Old 10th June 2003, 12:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Looking at that response graph, it seems like you have a good little driver, little evidence of cone breakup modes at any rate.

Looking at the roll off though, it looks like it might be a bit steep to integrate well with a first order on the tweeter, you might need to go second, or even third to sum flat.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 10th June 2003, 12:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Second order is what I actually had in mind as the similar aproach was used in a Titus (or Titan maybe), a small Triangle monitor. No crossover on midbass and secon order filter on the same tweeter I'm using here. Sam Telling, of Stereophile, was raving about imaging properties of that small Triangle monitor and I also built it few years ago.
Old 10th June 2003, 12:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Here's the recommended crossover for AudioTechnology woofer. I wonder what a notch filter is used here for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5h.jpg (14.6 KB, 1771 views)
Old 10th June 2003, 01:15 AM   #9
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
I would say some thing but i email you for questions now and never get a responce. So yeah. !
Old 10th June 2003, 01:50 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonL
I would say some thing but i email you for questions now and never get a responce. So yeah. !

Obviously, I must have been busy building those speakers. I have to find info on those Freds.

Hide this!Advertise here!