Just powering tweeters from a 300w stereo amp via electronic crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok im trying to bi amp my speakers using a behringer electronic x-over.

I have 4 cabinets each with a :

• Highly efficient Piezo system
  • Power max. 160W
  • SPL 105dB
Impedance
@ 1kHz 1000 Ohm Impedance @ 25kHz about 50 ohms Frequency response 3kHz – 29kHz

The amp is rated 300watts between 4-8 ohms, will i damage the tweeters or amplifier if i run the system like this.....

There is a lot of information on Piezo drivers here

Pulsar Developments Ltd - Piezo Tweeter Application Note

Basically your piezo tweeter box is rated for 25volts RMS which is about 75watts into an 8 ohm speaker. But it is able to take transient peaks equivalent to 300w / 8 ohm.

So Your piezo drivers should survive as long as you don't overdrive the amplifier.
You did not mention if your active crossover has built in limiters or not.
You should make sure that this amplifier is not driven to clipping.

Other point to make is if you have already aquired an active crossover and a spare amp to drive the tweeters , then you would be far better off buying some compression horns.
What crossover frequency are you thinking of using?

* Type: PA Speaker
* Diameter: 15 ”-380mm
* Products Frame: Steel
* Cone: Paper Cone
* Sensitivity (1W1M):96dB/m
* Nominal impedance: 8 ohm
* RMS power handling: 350W
* Magnet size 56oz
* Voice coil 2 1/2"
* Weight 5Kg
* Frq Resp 40 ~ 4KHz
Ok thats the woofer but i couldnt really see the relevance of the woofer as i was only asking about powering the piezo tweeters.

I have a behringer cx2310, at present im using a set of full range speakers for mid / highs so the woofer is wasted that is why im keen to bi - amp the cabinets

Last edited:
* Type: PA Speaker
* Diameter: 15 ”-380mm
* Products Frame: Steel
* Cone: Paper Cone
* Sensitivity (1W1M):96dB/m
* Nominal impedance: 8 ohm
* RMS power handling: 350W
* Magnet size 56oz
* Voice coil 2 1/2"
* Weight 5Kg
* Frq Resp 40 ~ 4KHz
Ok thats the woofer but i couldnt really see the relevance of the woofer as i was only asking about powering the piezo tweeters.

I have a behringer cx2310, at present im using a set of full range speakers for mid / highs so the woofer is wasted that is why im keen to bi - wire the cabinets

Bi-wire or Bi-amp?

since a piezo tweeter is seen as a capacitor by the amplifier, what effect does adding a series capacitor have on the voltages seen by the tweeter? both when the amp is behaving as designed and passing a clean audio signal and when misbehaving and sending a negative or positive pulse.
What if that pulse is nearly half a square wave, i.e. a longer duration signal or simply a transient peak that decays quickly over a few hundred milliseconds.

Hi i am new here i have been searching for help for days and this forum seems to be the on roughly wot i am doing.anyway any help or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated, here we go .....my setup is like this.......
i have a 15 band eq stereo
a omnitronic cl 166 compressor/ limiter/gate
omnitronic three way electronic crossover
1 x hollywood impact 240 amp 1 rms 2 x 160 watt top end
2 x hollywood impact 480 amp 2 rms 2 x 224 watt mid range
1 x hollywood impact 2000 amp 4 rms 2 x 450 watt bass
top end spks are 2 x 4 piezo tweeters
mid range spks are 2 x 8 inch spks and 2 x 6 inch spks same 8 ohms
bass i have two 12 inch spks
first problem is that i cant test the piezo tweeters like the other spks ,i am using a standard digital multimeter and i just get 1 on the 200 ohm scale and that is the lowest ohm scale on the meter.
Also the problem that i am having is that when i calculate the ohm of the piezo tweeters (connected in parallel)they don't match the rating of the amps which is 4-8 ohms(i end up with 1 ohm for the four tweeters when each tweeter is assumed 4 ohms and 2 ohms when assumed each tweeter is 8 ohms),so i guess my question is if i put a resistor to bring the value up to 4 or 8 ohms how do i calculate the value of that resistor and the power rating for the resistor. Thank in Advance Maliboo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.