Interesting Luxor Briljant 3 way amplified speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2010, 09:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Interesting Luxor Briljant 3 way amplified speakers

I just picked up this pair of Luxor Briljant amplified speakers for cheap (about $10).

Luxor - a set on Flickr

The cabinets appear to be made from glass reinforced plastic, like several 1970's - 90's B&O speaker baffles and equipment chassis. They feel very dense and are quite heavy - around 9-10 kilos each with the drivers and amplifier.

3 way, with crossover on the main PCB. 13cm, 10cm and 2.5cm drivers, all seem nice quality.

Amplifier uses BD809/810 devices on a +/- 28v supply. I'm guessing around 30watts output. All passives seem good quality - RDE electrolytics capacitors etc.

Has typical 'european' connectivity, 2 x 5pin DIN passthrough, carrying both left and right, and also 1 x 2 pin speaker high level input.

They were sold to me as faulty - upon opening them up, I thought the charred part of the PCB was an indication of the fault. Powered them up and they work great though... there are two hot running resistors in the auto turn on circuit that seem to have blackened the board. Both speakers are like that though, so I don't think it's much to worry about.

I have also removed the metal mesh grilles to flatten the dents out and to give them a coat of paint.

They have a nice full sound, with a surprising amount of bottom end and clarity. I'm using them with my LCD TV, which unsurprisingly has a very weak sound system. Its a vast improvement.

Anyway, I'm guessing that these are early to mid 80's vintage, anybody think otherwise?

Hide this!Advertise here!