Help a noob design a budget 5.1 system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been spending quite a bit of time lurking around these forums and just about everywhere I can find info about speaker building and I thought it was time to start asking for some advice for my build.

I'd like to build a complete 5.1 speaker system. I'm looking to keep costs under $300 for everything. I'm also just starting out so an easy forgiving build would be appreciated.

Somewhere I saw an example of a project that combined several different designs into a 5.1 system but I can't seem to find it anywhere (I've been in the research faze for months and I've forgotten what I've found where...).

I'm thinking of some 2 way bookshelf speakers for the front (like zaphs BM4s or HiVi Jrs) and a possibly a full-range design like zaph's Hi-Vi B3S or similar for the rear surrounds. I have no ideas for the center but I'd like for it to fit below my LCD which would need to be less than the following dimensions: 11mmx40mmx8mm (H,W,D).

For the Subwoofer I'm looking at 220 volt options since I live in Europe and I'm leaning toward the CerwinVega Full-Range amp from ApexJr. I believe it's 150Watt but I have no idea what driver to pair it with and what would be a good cabinet design for it.

My Living room is 4.5 meters x 4 meters and I have neighbors living below me so I don't need to rattle the walls, I'm just looking for a reasonable alternative to the complete 5.1 boxed solutions that we have here in Slovenia.

This will all be driven by my 100 watt yamaha receiver if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any input and advice that can get me started in the right direction.

Johnny

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Dave. I really appreciate it.

Would you suggest the 5 Mark Audio CHR-70 for the front and rear channels? The Mini BR design looks like a simple start for me. If so maybe I should move this thread to the full range forum.

Also, is there a slim box design that would work with these drivers for my center channel given my dimension requirements? 11mmx40mmx8mm (H,W,D)

And thanks for the super8 recommendation. I'll definitely check that out. Thanks again for the help.

Johnny

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Would you suggest the 5 Mark Audio CHR-70 for the front and rear channels? The Mini BR design looks like a simple start for me.

Also, is there a slim box design that would work with these drivers for my center channel given my dimension requirements? 11mmx40mmx8mm (H,W,D)

Keeping all the same is a very good idea.

Given that this is in an HT sealed has a big advantage. The work done i've done with these indicates that anything less than 8 litres should be sealed.

If we assume your dimensions are internal, and in cm, we have 4 litres (and an aspect ratio high enuff that you have a half-wave transmission line, with cross-section that will not let the driver breath well). The driver is best in 5-6 litre sealed for your application, if you want to use a box like that it would need to be aperiodic.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.