Violet DSP Evolution - an Open Baffle Project - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2010, 12:33 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Your right - PLParEQ is very CPU heavy, and the latency is loooooong. Price.. well, it depends. The full version is 1000$, not cheap, but I think its worth the money. More value than expensive cables at least.....

I have a 1.8 GHz CoreDuo machine, and running 4-way XO with EQ on this is difficult, I'm balancing on the edge so to speak, with 97% or so CPU util.....
Old 1st March 2010, 04:45 PM   #32
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I dont know, but I have plenty to do keeping my PC up to date, but it wears out none the less
A good friend renews bits and pieces when needed, just to keep my PC running, until I need the next generation (in about 2years I suppose)
But using a PC seems to me like it could be a more costly approach in the long run, all considered
And a PC is pretty noisy, in more than one way
Or maybe I have no idea how it works
Old 1st March 2010, 05:57 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
I have a 1.8 GHz CoreDuo machine, and running 4-way XO with EQ on this is difficult, I'm balancing on the edge so to speak, with 97% or so CPU util.....
My experience with my 1.7GHz CoreSolo is in good agreement. As for value, Allocator+PLParEQX3 arguably outperforms at 20% of the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
But using a PC seems to me like it could be a more costly approach in the long run, all considered. And a PC is pretty noisy, in more than one way.
In my case it's cheaper and hugely easier to run a digital crossover on a laptop than an analog crossover. Laptops are quiet, too.

I didn't mean to initiate a thread hijack; we should probably move this aspect of the discussion over to the digital line level forum. Feel free to start a crossover TCO thread over there.
Old 1st March 2010, 09:18 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
You can read about it here: MOB3W - my open baffle three way
Ah, yes, I've seen it! I think he's now going "naked" too (mids+high) if I'm not mistaken ?
That design has all the potential to be truly formidable contender. If you felt it was better than Orion that is high praise indeed !!!
Old 2nd March 2010, 02:53 AM   #35
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the heads up about PLParEQ - it looks interesting, but I'm not into long latencies.

I've been busy with things the last few days, but thought I'd share this pretty little graph. This is 0deg, 30deg, 45deg and 60deg. I measured it outdoors, 3.5m in the air, at 1.85m, and it is effectively ungated. 30deg is the listening axis.

Read it and weep! -6dB at 30Hz!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FirstPolar.jpg (118.9 KB, 663 views)
Old 2nd March 2010, 03:23 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Dude, that is one sweet polar. How flat's the phase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibono View Post
Thanks for the heads up about PLParEQ - it looks interesting, but I'm not into long latencies.
Allocator+PLParEQX isn't much worse than Allocator alone. Worth a look if, like StigErik, you find linear phase works best.
Old 2nd March 2010, 04:20 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

That is truly remarkable ! And CD without a waveguide ... who would have thought
Old 2nd March 2010, 04:38 AM   #38
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

A far less ambitious project:

Big Bertha!

I have yet to take measurements - but the reason I'm posting this here is that I use the E-mu1212m's inbuilt DSP to run the EQs for this pair of speakers. Up to 5 effects are allowed, I use only the Parametric EQ/shelf EQ effects. You do not need fancy software, the card's drivers have DSP abilities up to 48KHz. For the more upmarket 1616m, it can also perform duty of active crossover. CPU load is zero. Obviously it's not perfect, but a reasonable way to start a similar project.
Old 2nd March 2010, 09:05 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Another option is the Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP. Haven't checked all the details see how it compares to the 1616. I believe Motu and Steinberg have higher end offerings as well. So far as I know no embedded DSP audio interface supports linear phase crossovers or equalization, though I won't claim to have looked terribly hard.
Old 2nd March 2010, 09:30 AM   #40
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibono View Post
Read it and weep! -6dB at 30Hz!
Terrific! I am still wiping my tears off.
I have seen such a response only in simulations before. Considering that you could achieve this with such a modest system (cost wise) makes it even more remarkable.

Rudolf

Hide this!Advertise here!