"Crossoverless Loudspeaker System"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
From the website, they claim full range "Crossoverless Loudspeaker system".

http://www.brentworth.com/

Looking at the pictures, it appears to be some form of modified bandpass enclosure, only they claim very high sensitivity, (100+ dB). Most bandpasses of wideband response have low sensitivity.

On the other hand, maybe it's a Transmission Line or Bass Reflex in back of speaker, maybe a horn in front for mids and highs?

Anybody heard of them or have an idea how this could be possible? :bigeyes:

Hmm, the place is located a few miles from where I went to college-way out in the country.

Excellent marketing spin, but somewhat misleading. Look what I found here:

http://www.cadencebuilding.com/cadence/brentworth.html

The technology has been termed Dynamic Loading System (DLS) and refers to the enclosure's ability, through an intricate line and "valve" system to load the driver at low frequencies while simultaneously unloading the driver at higher frequencies. The effect is that low frequencies are coupled to the room with massive amounts of air, thereby negating the necessity for large and uncontrollable woofers (producing bass in this manner is directly analogous to a bass violin creating bass from the relatively small vibrations of a string). At the same time, the driver remains almost completely unrestrained to reproduce high frequencies.

Lastly, the design calls for the entire chamber to be mated to, and damped with, a non-resonant substance to control spurious resonance. The material chosen for this purpose is Gibraltar', a high-tech, solid-surface material available in a variety of colors and finishes. Strikingly beautiful when finished, Gibraltar' is also used to fabricate the matching stands supplied with the Type 1 speakers. The specially-made, 6.5 inch drivers are incredibly light and stiff, capable of reproducing 20 Hz - 20 kHz when reinforced (acoustically) in the enclosure. The drivers operate in an essentially pressure-free environment and are coupled directly to the amplifier.

A Bass Contour Module was developed as an integral part of the overall design. This unit is inserted between the control amplifier and power amplifier or in a tape loop if preferred, and can be switched out for comparison or special purposes.

Sure no crossover, but a *bass contour module*, undoubtedly a baffle step comp or EQ circuit, is used. Pppppppptttttttttppppppp!

Hey! I just created a special, one-of-a-kind, state-of-the-art, crossoverless loudspeaker system, too! I call it the "Four Tang Band 3 inchers in a fatty box".

Its really special because it's state of the art design gets rid of so many of the problems associated with conventional speakers, such as deep bass.

Any takers?

Brentworth

FWIW, I heard the Brentworth at lenght while auditioning a 300B amp about 5 years ago. Source was mainly LP and a massive VIP turntable. Deep solid bass, great mids and overall a bit bright but not harsh. Somewhat 2 dimensional in the basement room they were in.

GeorgeJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.